Will Oxfam or clothes bank bins take socks?

(8 Posts)
Lifeisshort123 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:36:54

Will Oxfam or charity recycling clothes bins take tights with small holes, socks that are to worn to be worn anymore or have small holes in and used underwear with small stains or are in a very used condition?
Many thanks

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 23-Oct-16 12:38:27

I was going to say yes, but around me at least, both only want clothes in wearable condition. They don't repair things. I don't think I'd donate any of those things, they all sound rather unwearable.

ForeverEyesOfBlue Sun 23-Oct-16 12:39:44

As far as I know they do take them, any textiles can be recycled and the charity will still get some money for them. I put things like this in a bag marked 'rags' and stick them in the clothes recycling bin.

Lifeisshort123 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:53:12

Thanks, I'll start filling a bag. I have read that they only make 35p per 1kg bag but if I can raise even 5p it's better than nothing. grin

megletthesecond Sun 23-Oct-16 12:54:57

I always put them in the charity bins. Thy can still get money for rags.

Lifeisshort123 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:55:50

Thanks, I'll do the same.

notthe1Parrot Sun 23-Oct-16 13:18:21

Re. socks, if they are suitable for under-8s, you could give them to a primary school.

Our school was always grateful for socks etc, to use when dealing with toilet 'accidents'. We usually had enough spare pants but were always short of socks (you know, for where it had trickled down....!).

LunaLoveg00d Sun 23-Oct-16 17:06:31

Yes Oxfam will take socks. I volunteer in one of the shops -- we don't sell second hand underwear or socks but send them to Wastesaver for either recycling or selling on to other parts of the world. Your shop volunteers will LOVE you if you mark the bag as rags as they won't have to sort it.

www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/donate-goods/what-happens-to-your-donation/wastesaver

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now