has anyone used soapnuts

(20 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Oct-15 19:40:03

And of so are they any good, or are they a faff? what do you use in place of fabric softener?

what do you actually do with them. I hope this is in the right place. my dd is having an eczema flare up and is looming a nit of a state at the moment. I was having a Google regarding washing powders and soap nuts came up. I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference with their or their children's skin and whether it's worth the cost.

all information great fully received

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Oct-15 19:55:05

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Oct-15 20:22:06

anyone?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Oct-15 20:46:31

sad

Sadik Sun 11-Oct-15 20:52:20

I haven't actually used them, but years and years back I remember a bloke who I had a vague acquaintance with importing vast numbers of them and getting stuck with them. A lot of mutual friends got given them in the aftermath and said they were pretty useless. Sorry sad

I imagine you've tried most of the options out there, but if you haven't tried Faith washing liquid, it's one of the very few (Bio-D is the other, but I don't think it's so widely available) that doesn't trigger my eczema.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Oct-15 20:54:56

thank you for your response I shall Google the one you suggested thank you smile

SisterMoonshine Sun 11-Oct-15 20:55:05

I tried them for a bit.
I think using them might be the same as running your machine with no detergent.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Oct-15 20:56:30

So that's 2 for no good then. ..

well that's saves me some cash thank you smile

iwantgin Sun 11-Oct-15 20:56:40

No, but I have used eco balls in the past. They were okay. Didn't do much for my second sweaty running kit but worked fine for regular laundry

StillYummy Sun 11-Oct-15 20:58:57

Sorry but I found they were rubbish. Not just on gym kits but also on office cloths witch were practically clean. I also didn't get on well with Eco balls.

Sadik Sun 11-Oct-15 21:00:02

TBH my feeling with eco balls is that again it's not noticeably different from running the machine with no detergent. (Which may be your best option - my dad has to wash his socks just in plain water as his particularly prone to eczema on his shins.)

camtt Sun 11-Oct-15 21:02:29

another no to soap nuts here - they're ok if you are doing clothes that have been worn once and have no actual marks on them but otherwise I've got a large bag that will be going to waste I fear.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Oct-15 21:02:52

Well thank you all!!! so glad I consulted MN befire buying

shoopshoopsong Sun 11-Oct-15 22:06:14

I used soap nuts for a while with essential oil in the fabric softener draw to make it smell a bit nicer. I found unless heavily stained they did work well but I always used about 5 nuts in a bag and changed them every 2nd wash (when if read to do about every 5/6) because after about the 3rd go they didn't seem to produce enough soap! I also found it a massive faff breaking up the nuts (they get all stuck together in the box) each time and they'd crumble.

I now use an EcoEgg and I really like it. I bought a scented one so you can still have that fresh laundry smell, whilst being sensitive still. I'm really impressed with it. It's so easy and cheap - on tough stains I have to use stain remover (I use their brand one and its fine) but on everyday stuff it's good.

Neither made a difference on my sons eczema though so not much help on that front.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 12-Oct-15 17:46:13

Well I found some simply sensitive wash tabs which are phosphate free and vegan and I got some Bio D vegan and allergy friendly laundry liquid and softener to try as well so hopefully that will work ok

hairbrushbedhair Mon 12-Oct-15 17:49:45

Dunno anything about soap nuts but I currently use ecover zero plus white distilled vinegar in place of fabric softener and it works just as well

ppeatfruit Wed 14-Oct-15 12:23:08

I use an old wash ball but WITH white vinegar, half a cup thrown straight into the machine, and bicarb in a wash ball. It's very efficient at any temp. I have bought some nuts but not got round to using them yet, not sure if I will now though grin

Oh and for eczema shoopshoopsong trying bathing yr ds in quite warm water that has been softened with seasalt, it is amazing. No mainstream products of course. But a bit of olive oil is lovely on it.

VulcanWoman Wed 28-Oct-15 21:54:32

Was really disappointed with the Soapnuts which was a shame, got a refund from Ocado in the end. Might try the egg thing.

blueshoes Wed 28-Oct-15 22:54:28

Soapnuts don't work. Threw mine away.

Badders123 Fri 01-Jul-16 19:31:47

They are rubbish
As are Eco balls
Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now