child seat on 14'' bike?

(16 Posts)
flootshoot Fri 18-Oct-13 18:20:44

Just found this board! I currently do the school run with kids in a trailer, but I'd like to get a child seat so I can take the trailer off when the eldest is at school and its just me and DD. I've been offered a polisport wallaby but I'm not sure it'll fit my bike. I ride a 14" with the saddle on the lowest setting. Anyone know?

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 09:21:46

how old is the DD?

flootshoot Sat 19-Oct-13 11:53:10

Hi, thanks for answering. DD is 2.5 but very petite (she has a good 5 inches or so left in the kegs on MIL's bike seat.) I was also thinking of getting a front seat. So many options!

flootshoot Sat 19-Oct-13 12:06:49

Legs, not kegs!

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 14:37:10

you're so small, i don't know which seat would work, sorry. I had wondered if a trailer bike might suit.

flootshoot Sat 19-Oct-13 14:40:55

I know, its a pain! I don't think I have enough saddle stem for a rear seat but I can try. I think a front seat will work but need to make sure I can see over DD's head!

VinegarDrinker Sat 19-Oct-13 14:45:14

Most of the front mounted seats would work but yes, whether you could see over may be an issue... You also need an inch or so of exposed handlebar stem to attach most to (the Weeride is the exception but comes with its own heavy crossbar which stays in place permanently).

You could just get a top tube seat (Leco or similar - the "mini saddle" style). Also front seats mostly have a weight limit of 15kg, but if your DD is also petite she may have a while left in one.

VinegarDrinker Sat 19-Oct-13 14:47:32

If you are on Facebook or Twitter if you find CycleSprog, ask her & she will hopefully be able to advise or ask her followers. I'm 5'9" so though I know quite a lot about various seats, I am fairly clueless about your situation!

flootshoot Sat 19-Oct-13 14:52:23

I've looked at the tube top saddles but think DD may be too young and unreliable as yet. The research continues!

VinegarDrinker Sat 19-Oct-13 14:56:50

FWIW we LOVE our Bobike mini front seat but no idea of suitability for you, sorry!

flootshoot Sat 19-Oct-13 16:10:13

We shall see!

flootshoot Tue 29-Oct-13 08:36:15

Bugger. The bracket is too tall, but only just. I've seen slightly smaller brackets sold separately... anyone know if the prongs on rear seats are fairly universal in size?

FannyFifer Tue 29-Oct-13 08:44:01

I would have thought a 14" bike, (do u mean the same size my 3 year old would ride?) wouldn't be strong enough to have another seat on the front.

flootshoot Tue 29-Oct-13 09:24:57

No, a 14" adult bike. I'm not that small! Arf.

FannyFifer Tue 29-Oct-13 23:11:52

I was trying to be diplomatic, thought u were maybe very small indeed, Lol.
grin

NannyPeach Fri 21-Feb-14 10:59:50

Hi, have any of you used the little child saddle that can be attached on to the frame if an adults bike (in from of the adult seat)?? They are said to be suitable for children aged 3-5. We have an almost 3 yr old, so think this might be an option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now