Anyone used a Wormery????

(7 Posts)
Pashazade Sat 10-Aug-13 07:18:23

Hello
I have to get rid of my food digester due to an ongoing rat issue in our garden/kitchen. Sadly my local council don't do kerbside food recycling so wondering how easy a Wormery is to use, whether with appropriate measures it can be rat proof, if it is straightforward. I know it's an expensive option but I'm reluctant to do composting as they are likely to get into that too......holes are now blocked in kitchen so hopefully they'll stay out of the house, at least until they've chewed through this lot of chicken wire.....
Any advice appreciated. Oh we are an semi urban environment but we back onto a large park!

JustLikeBritishRail Sat 10-Aug-13 07:25:10

I used to have a wormery in an urban area and I never had a problem with rats (despite there being a rat problem in the area). I had a can-o-worms... The only really problem I had was the tap at the bottom would get blocked really easily so it was hard to drain out the liquid... All manner of disgusting beasties would live in the bottom layer... hmm

fernyburn Sun 11-Aug-13 16:18:11

Wormcity wormeries have holed in the lid so that you can physically tie the lid on.
Stops any vermin getting in !

Pashazade Mon 12-Aug-13 20:20:18

Our issue has been them eating through things at a ground level, plastic appears to be a very minor obstacle but thanks for the info smile

Bert2e Mon 12-Aug-13 20:33:30

I've had mine for 10 years now and love it. We've never had a problem with rats. Just remember not to put orange / citrus peel or onions in it and you'll be fine!

BloooCowWonders Mon 12-Aug-13 20:44:40

I had one and just the one rat....

The rat man from the council suspected it was pregnant and trying to find somewhere to have its babies. Yuk. But I also felt guilty - a pregnant/ labouring fellow female etc etc. (wierd, moi?)

The rat never reappeared but when I phoned Wiggly Wigglers where I'd bought the wormery they confirmed that basically if a rat wants to get in anywhere it will.

So not sure if any sort of wormery will keep out a determined rat...

BloooCowWonders Mon 12-Aug-13 20:46:23

I had one and just the one rat....

The rat man from the council suspected it was pregnant and trying to find somewhere to have its babies. Yuk. But I also felt guilty - a pregnant/ labouring fellow female etc etc. (wierd, moi?)

The rat never reappeared but when I phoned Wiggly Wigglers where I'd bought the wormery they confirmed that basically if a rat wants to get in anywhere it will.

So not sure if any sort of wormery will keep out a determined rat...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now