Buying using own containers... where?

(2 Posts)
Wiggy29 Mon 05-Aug-13 21:44:42

I'm trying to look for places to buy things using my own re-useable containers in order to reduce household waste. So far, I've found it easy to findfruit/ veg and oil at local market/ veg box scheme, cleaning products at local shop that refills ecover (but also going to try making own cleaning stuff with lemons/ bicarb etc) but after that I'm struggling. Even the local market that has things (e.g. flour/ dry fruit) in large bins with scoops won't let me use my own containers. I'm going to try and hunt out a local milkman who will use glass but any other ideas? hmm

Droflove Sat 29-Mar-14 09:23:50

Great idea OP. I am in negotiations to buy a house at the end of a long unadopted lane so the bins will have a bit if a journey to get picked up so I was thinking of ways to reduce household waste the other day. I prefer to shop in the fruit and veg shop and local butchers so can buy loose items to put in my own bag/basket easier. I was wondering if i could wrap meat in clean reusable suitable cloths (like cheese cloths?), need to look into it further. I am planning a serious store cupboard so am looking into the store-ability of oats, barley, flour etc so that I can buy massive packs maybe from a local mill/factory/cash and carry so that I have one big bag to get rid of once rather than 20 small ones. Would be interested to hear other people's ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now