Grow your own in rented houses

(7 Posts)
squidlywidly Thu 16-May-13 15:06:35

I live in a rented house with a reasonable sized garden that gets a nice amount of sunlight. I would love to grow my own veg, salad things mostly but also kale, chard and beans. All growing must be low cost and pesticide free.

The problem is that the landlord has requested that we do not disturb the lawns so that only leaves us with two narrow flower beds (60cm X 200cm aprox) and the patio areas to grow on.

I would love some advice from anyone, and also book/ web suggestions to get me started.

Seff Tue 21-May-13 15:03:09

Loads of things can be grown in containers and things like peas that grow tall could go in the beds.

We have strawberries in hanging baskets but I think some tomatoes do well in them too.

the main difficulty you have is getting containers and compost/gravel for the bottom with out it costing a fortune.

When we were first married we lived in a scruffy flat in an old Victorian flat that had the most perfect scruffy walled garden we were not even allowed to maintain... just pots on patio and we managed in the year we were there to grow a few bits and bobs. found that LNG troughs worked really well as they were much cheaper than equivalent space in round pots, also, any friends with compost heaps, gravel, seedling etc - let them know your position. we were lucky yo have deep win do ledges too so grew lots of seedlings, salad, toms etc next to the window.

Now live in our own terrace housing estate home with small yard at back... which after 7 years a chock a block with green :-). some over grown as I have had a poorly back but barely any pavement to get DHs bike through

If you can, get the biggest pots you can or you will be spending hours watering. We got looooads of those crystals that turn to Kelly really cheap from b and q at end of season and that's brilliant.

are you thinking veg or pretty or both? Budget size? do you want everything to match or have alsorts of containers?

If you can get some wooden crates even they're great.

I've got tomatoes and strawberries growing in grow bags - just cut a couple of squares in the top and put them in. My strawberries are last years plants that have come up again.

Trills Sun 09-Jun-13 13:11:21

We've got tomatoes in grow bags and chillis in pots, not much else, although the garden does have pear trees in it.

Beans in the beds
Salad and herbs in pots

aprilj11 Mon 05-Aug-13 11:53:22

Try tomatoes in pots and also herbs grow very nicely and don't take up much space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now