How can I find a home for old baby clothes

(13 Posts)
babybouncer Fri 04-Jan-13 02:35:16

I've been sorting through dc's clothes and there are a lot that are fine condition-wise, that I want to donate. I am sure no one would buy them from a charity shop, so I really want to find a charity that can use them, say for children of asylum seekers or homeless parents or something. Any ideas where to look? (I'm in the midlands).

devonsmummy Fri 04-Jan-13 02:41:17

Woman's Aid?

piprabbit Fri 04-Jan-13 02:41:33

Try contacting your local women's refuge, they often need all sorts of bits and pieces for families (of all ages) who arrive with very little.

Your local NCT branch may also be worth contacting as they may do something themselves or be able to point you in the right direction. Local branches often collect for "Little Bundles" or "Baby Bundles" where they gather together everything needed by a new mum in an emergency situation (nappies, clothes, sterlising equipment, moses basket etc.).

Leafmould Sun 06-Jan-13 23:55:03

The childrens' society have a refugee project where they work with destitute refugees/ asylum seekers.

Where: Unit 614/5F The Big Peg: 120 Vyse Street, The Jewellery Quarter, BIR, B18 6NF, Phone: 0121 236 3968 See on map

I work alongside the children's soc in my area, and they are a great organization. I donate my clothes to our local refugee project, as like you, I would prefer for them to get used once more before they are binned/ ragged. My friend lives next door to a charity shop, and we get amazing stuff out of their bins (some of which has been slashed)

Ambi Mon 07-Jan-13 00:14:47

This is great, I've just contacted my local women's aid to see if they'd accept my baby clothes and Moses basket.

specialsubject Wed 09-Jan-13 18:18:12

it is a sad state of affairs when no-one will buy baby clothes from a charity shop.

in addition to the above excellent suggestions, try freecycle and also look at other foreign relief organisations, sending them to countries where many people have more sense.

Leafmould Wed 09-Jan-13 21:22:53

Sometimes the way charities deal with them is questionable... Not just the punters that won't buy. I go to a charity shop where they sell difficult to shift clothes for 10p. But the charity shop my friend lives next to is too posh to waste it's space and lower its tone with that kind of public service.

Then a lot of the agencies sending clothes overseas are actually selling them, and while they do sell cheap clothes to people who need them, they can also undermine the fragile domestic clothing industries in these countries.

That's why I donate to our local refugee organization, because the lady gives them to people with nothing.

Tryharder Sat 12-Jan-13 18:04:16

I bought baby clothes from charity shopssmile

Free cycle is your best bet surely. People will bite your hand off for them.

Smudging Sat 12-Jan-13 18:06:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

babybouncer Tue 15-Jan-13 13:02:01

Finally found a teenage charity who were very grateful and said the clothes and equipment would make a real and immediate impact, which is exactly what I wanted.

I live in a relatively wealthy area and although I've tried to freecycle thing in the past, I've never had any interest, while charity shops are few and far between in these parts. Interestingly, since I've mentioned this to some of my mum friends, loads of them have asked for details of the charity to get rid of their things - I'll pass these comments on to them too.

wickedfairy Mon 28-Jan-13 19:48:56

I donate my baby stuff to the local sure start centre, they say they will always be able to find someone who needs it.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 28-Jan-13 19:57:41

I send stuff to social services for them to use as needed eg in a refuge, or toys in day centres for supervised play

janek Sat 16-Mar-13 16:39:54

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now