biodegradable everything?

(4 Posts)
SquirtedFrankinScentsInStable Tue 04-Dec-12 14:52:51

Ah if youre not in the UK, the disposal of "grey water" in this way may be acceptable.
If you google treating grey water you may get some ideas.

AuldAlliance Tue 04-Dec-12 14:33:32

The landlady is an aged old lady in a home somewhere, who is under legal guardianship of a friend who doesn't get a penny of our rent.
I don't think it is a scam, it's an ancient farmhouse in the south of France where no one has bothered to do anything about this because until now there was no one using a washing machine or dishwasher so the issue didn't really cross anyone's mind, I suspect. Not sure she pays the wastewater portion of any bills, I think they're included in our water bills.
I'll see if I can get the ball rolling for the house to be connected to the sewage system, but in the meantime I want to minimise the damage I cause.

SquirtedFrankinScentsInStable Tue 04-Dec-12 14:05:54

I would inform your water company and possibly the environment agency.
The only water that can be run off into a soakaway is rainwater.

I assume your landlord is getting a reduction on the wastewater portion of his bill by using a septic tank. And then getting good value from that tank by only filling it with wastewater from the toilet!

AuldAlliance Tue 04-Dec-12 12:10:36

I discovered yesterday that the waste water from the kitchen (i.e. sink & dishwasher) and the washing machine in the house we are currently renting, goes into a hole in the ground below our garden.
Not into the septic tank, just into a hole. shock

I am going to buy the most biodegradable washing up, cleaning and laundry products I can. Are there any other issues I need to be aware of?
(We're renting till next summer, I can't see the agency installing a new system, though I could be wrong).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now