biodegradable everything?

(4 Posts)
AuldAlliance Tue 04-Dec-12 12:10:36

I discovered yesterday that the waste water from the kitchen (i.e. sink & dishwasher) and the washing machine in the house we are currently renting, goes into a hole in the ground below our garden.
Not into the septic tank, just into a hole. shock

I am going to buy the most biodegradable washing up, cleaning and laundry products I can. Are there any other issues I need to be aware of?
(We're renting till next summer, I can't see the agency installing a new system, though I could be wrong).

SquirtedFrankinScentsInStable Tue 04-Dec-12 14:05:54

I would inform your water company and possibly the environment agency.
The only water that can be run off into a soakaway is rainwater.

I assume your landlord is getting a reduction on the wastewater portion of his bill by using a septic tank. And then getting good value from that tank by only filling it with wastewater from the toilet!

AuldAlliance Tue 04-Dec-12 14:33:32

The landlady is an aged old lady in a home somewhere, who is under legal guardianship of a friend who doesn't get a penny of our rent.
I don't think it is a scam, it's an ancient farmhouse in the south of France where no one has bothered to do anything about this because until now there was no one using a washing machine or dishwasher so the issue didn't really cross anyone's mind, I suspect. Not sure she pays the wastewater portion of any bills, I think they're included in our water bills.
I'll see if I can get the ball rolling for the house to be connected to the sewage system, but in the meantime I want to minimise the damage I cause.

SquirtedFrankinScentsInStable Tue 04-Dec-12 14:52:51

Ah if youre not in the UK, the disposal of "grey water" in this way may be acceptable.
If you google treating grey water you may get some ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now