Damien Hirst Butterfly Exhibition - 9,000 butterflies die

(7 Posts)
greenhill Sun 14-Oct-12 10:18:46

Yes, there isn't really a safe way to 'pet' a butterfly is there? They are beautiful creatures to be admired from a safe distance.

cornsconkers Sun 14-Oct-12 10:10:42

yes I think it was probably a gimmick at the expense of the Butterflies.

I have also visited butterfly houses and worried about the butterflies though, as parents let their young children grab at them/try to hold them and no-one seems to do anything about it, so I think they could be improved.

CuttedUpPear Sun 14-Oct-12 10:09:43

how awful. sad
And angry too. Totally unnecessary.

greenhill Sun 14-Oct-12 10:09:25

I know, a butterfly is still a living creature and can easily be damaged by contact with people brushing it off their clothes etc.

difficultpickle Sun 14-Oct-12 10:06:28

I'm surprised this wasn't raised at the start of the exhibition. I thought it was very odd to allow it.

greenhill Sun 14-Oct-12 10:04:39
greenhill Sun 14-Oct-12 10:02:26

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/9606498/Damien-Hirst-condemned-for-killing-9000-butterflies-in-Tate-show

Like me, most people love butterflies, but would you be happy for them to be used as in an exhibit like this?

I have visited Butterfly Houses at zoos and nature parks, so know that they are bred for educational purposes.

Do you think this is exploitation or just a gimmick for Damien Hirst to draw attention to himself?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now