Where can you buy older chicken meat?

(7 Posts)
Molehillmountain Fri 22-Jun-12 14:50:08

Just saw jimmy Doherty's programme on chicken kievs and I want to get my hands on some older chicken. I love making stews but slow cooked young chicken doesn't seem to work and I'd love to use chicken mince. And it's cheap and so I could more easily use free range. Where can I buy it?!

Furball Sat 23-Jun-12 07:19:16

I don't know either and I'm interested too. But for your stews - have you tried thigh? you can get thigh fillets and I always use instead of breast as the meat is a lot more tender and tastier.

I am very aware Tescos use brazilian or dutch chicken in all their processed stuff (whilst we send our older meat to china???? - all this shipping chicken round the world is total madness) so I never buy it. I don't know why Tesco can't jump on the old hen meat and use it in all their stuff. I am 100% sure if you asked the customer directly and said which would you prefer - surely surely surely, everyone would say free range british?

I bought the kievs this week - kiev aint really my thing, but I wanted to support Jimmys plan. To me they were 'ok' (as I said not really my thing) but ds (10) absolutely loved them and said they were really nice. [miracle] - so they will be on the shopping list in future.

The Tescos I went to - which is quite a large store, didn't have his sausages or veal meatballs. - the assistant said someone else had also asked for the veal.

Presume you don't have a local butcher. Try posting in 'Food' thread - someone might know a mail-order supplier.

NotaDisneyMum Wed 08-Aug-12 00:39:21

Not sure if you've found any, but I was chatting to a local poultry farmer at a farmers market last week and she sells her 'end of lay' chickens direct from the farm, all prepared for the pot smile.

If you've got a commercial free-range poultry farm nearby, then why not give them a call and see if they'd do the same?

MaryHansack Wed 08-Aug-12 00:48:38

halal butchers often do 'older' chicken, as boilers, and chicken mince too.

ethelb Mon 13-Aug-12 22:16:58

If you are looking for a better taste farmers choice chickens are slaughtered at 12 weeks rather than 6 are free range no additives and British. Other than that grow your own chickens?

mabryntqn Fri 08-Mar-13 02:47:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now