Help! We are looking for a 'non toxic' sofa

(6 Posts)
princesschick Thu 18-Oct-12 14:29:53

Oh wow, I stopped watching this because I didn't think any one was interested blush and it looks like I missed a whole bunch of stuff. And that was ages ago too.

flub we called ID Patriot and asked them all sorts and they couldn't give us any straight answers. The materials were treated with flame retardants I seem to remember, which was our biggest bub bear.

However, I found an excellent guy called Weave, Wood, Watson and we're going to be using him. Hopefully an old sofa with sheeps wool filling, covered in kevlar, which means no flame retardant on the material. We will choose an organic material. He also makes the headboards for Abaca now and has a great relationship with them too. We are chuffed as we decided to get the bed from Abaca ages ago because they are the only soil association certified bed manufacturer.

flub Mon 09-Apr-12 19:59:17

Hi, can I ask what was wrong with ID UK Patriot? We've just found their website and were thinking they may be a good option. We want something that won't offgas nasty chemicals.

The other company I heard of is Tetrad International (tetradinternational@googlemail.com or call 01443 402644) but I can't find a website for them. There is a separate company called Tetrad but they don't do eco sofas.

If you do find a good option, let us know!

kellestar Sat 24-Mar-12 19:53:00

There are re-upholstery companies out there that use natural materials instead of foam padding and natural fabrics too.

I think the hard thing is that new sofas have to be flame retardant to meet BSEN safety standards, which means that the ones that use natural materials and processes will charge more as it's often a longer/harder process to make them flame retartdant.

I would enthuse buying a decent solid wood framed sofa and re-upholstering professionally, or if you fancy it there are courses run at colleges around the place.

Strode College being one that is close to me. But I know at least a dozen more that run similar courses. Alternatively google is your friend.

princesschick Fri 16-Mar-12 05:49:15

We are thinking of having an antique sofa reupholstered with 100% natural materials. We're particularly worried about the effects of offgassing on our health and not just the production side of things. Although the animal testing is a massive turn-off for me.

Great tip tho as we could get our sofa to do-up from a charity shop and hopefully save some pennies :-)

I don't know about companies, but you could buy your sofa from a charity shop (British Heart Foundation have a furniture shop near me), that way you are supporting a charity instead of a sofa company, and ensuring a sofa gets a new home. The chemical nasties will still be there, but you will not be the cause of their production, the original owner would be.

princesschick Tue 13-Mar-12 15:48:06

Is there anyone out there who can suggest a company that sells real, proper non toxic and preferably organic sofas? I have found one company so far, Harlands, however they are £2,999 before they are covered in fabric. ouch This is way beyond our modest budget.

We have looked high and low, thinking that we had found two companies (ID Patriot and Sofa.com) only to be disappointed by their rather misleading sales blurb.

Ideally looking for something that doesn't contain any petrochemicals or nasties - main problem here being the flame retardants. We found out that standard flame retardants are tested on rabbits, fish, mice, rats.... and that some companies who stuff their cushions with feathers are using bi-products of the meat industry... that's foie grois geese to me and you.

Any help massively appreciated. Or I will be saving very hard and sitting on cardboard in the new home for a few months!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now