4 year old sleeping in dads and stepmothers bed

(9 Posts)
Penn69 Thu 13-Oct-16 12:54:57

Despite my ex agreeing that my son, who is 5 in January, should sleep in his own bed, he allows him to climb in with him and his new partner (of 2 years) in the small hours of the morning. He says our son gets upset when asked to return to his own bed. My son is tired when he returns from his dad's and says he likes the cuddles but does get hot sharing a bed. I think my ex should take control, and gently but firmly take him back to his own bed. AIBU?

Heirhelp Thu 13-Oct-16 12:56:48

Yes I think you. If he wants cuddles from his Dad then there is nothing wrong with allowing them. Can you ask him to carry your son back to his bed when he is asleep?

instantly Thu 13-Oct-16 12:57:31

What's the problem exactly? That he's tired?

BombayBonsai Thu 13-Oct-16 12:58:18

Honestly... it's up to your ex. I understand that it's not easy but you can't actually force him to do what you've asked.

Milkand2sugarsplease Mon 31-Oct-16 23:25:43

Wow - he's 5 (soon), not 15. He's still so little in the grand scheme of things.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Oct-16 23:29:46

He's 5 and away from home!

Stuffythedragon Mon 31-Oct-16 23:32:31

His partner is not new after 2 years...

My dsd was 3 when I moved in with dp (we were together for a year and a bit) and she often climbed into bed for a cuddle with us.
On the other hand, My ds was 6 when me and his dad separated and if he had needed a cuddle in the middle of the night and his stepmom was there, I wouldn't care. He needs a cuddle from his daddy at that moment.
Just ask him to put him back in bed when he's asleep to stop the bed confusion.
Why do you think it UR?

aforestgrewandgrew Mon 31-Oct-16 23:34:17

YABU, I'm sorry to say.

It must be so hard having to share parenting with an ex.

But - so many parents the world over do what your ex is doing. It might not be your way, but letting your DC snuggle in with you is totally normal. DD comes into our bed early every morning, for example.

milkysmum Mon 31-Oct-16 23:35:13

Up to your ex how he manages bed times when he with him really isn't it? What's the problem with a 5 year old getting into bed with his dad when he is away?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now