Godmother has crossed the line. Can godparents be annulled?

(14 Posts)
Ethelpandy16 Wed 07-Sep-16 01:07:42

If the godmother of your child has had an affair with your husband. Can this godmother be removed?

MissBattleaxe Wed 07-Sep-16 01:15:46

No. Just keep away from her

torthecatlady Wed 07-Sep-16 01:15:50

I'm not sure if that is something that the church can offer, but you could tell them you don't want them to be a Godparent anymore?
They don't have legal rights as a Godparent, their duty is to offer spiritual guidance.

KeyserSophie Wed 07-Sep-16 01:18:14

Er, I think the godmother is the least of your problems right now.

Hariasa Wed 07-Sep-16 01:21:37

Godmother isn't a legal position. It's simply honorary.

Make sure your will is changed pretty quick if she's down as a potential guardian though.

I'm very sorry. It must be devastating to be so doubly betrayed.

MidniteScribbler Wed 07-Sep-16 01:41:56

I think I'd be more concerned with divorcing the husband than divorcing the godmother.

Finola1step Wed 07-Sep-16 01:46:18

Freeze out the godmother. Leave the husband.

Liiinoo Wed 07-Sep-16 02:18:56

No, a godparent has no legal or ecclesiastical status. Your DC is stuck with them (my own GF converted from Judaism to Catholicism shortly before I was born. A year later he changed his mind. He reverted to being Jewish and I was raised a 'sort of' Catholic. That would have been excellent grounds for an annulment but it isn't a thing.

However, a husband who got married with no intention of remaining faithful could have made false vows and that could be a reason for an annulment. Why does the onus of blame appear to be on the GM not your DH here?

MissBattleaxe Thu 08-Sep-16 16:11:22

Liiinoo is right. A Godparent has no legal bearing and certainly doesn't take over care for your child if you die, as some people seem to think. That can only be done via a will.

You can't "un-Godparent" someone, but you can simply stop having anything more to do with them.

UmbongoUnchained Thu 08-Sep-16 16:14:05

Don't worry about her, you should be prepping for divorce.

Wolpertinger Thu 08-Sep-16 16:20:46

Godmother isn't a legal role. They are there to ensure your child is brought up in the Christian faith. Or more commonly provide extra Christmas and birthday presents.

Yours seems to have done a poor job of the traditional role and it's up to you what you do with the presents if your husband has dumped her.

NerrSnerr Thu 08-Sep-16 16:23:40

The godmother is the least of your problems. Just stop contact. It's your husband you need to get rid of!!

BittyWanter Thu 08-Sep-16 16:36:28

I have no idea.

But I'd concentrate on your ex and getting things sorted there. Un-godparenting seems unnecessary, time wasting and spiteful (though I understand your reasoning)

Your DC are no better off with or without her being a godparent now. I'm pretty sure it has no legal status.

Best wishes op

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 12-Sep-16 11:51:00

I wish they could. My DSs GM was totally crap and, to add insult to injury, she thought this was hysterically funny. I don't keep in touch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now