How often do you have your nieces/nephews

(32 Posts)
BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 20:03:40

How often do people have their nieces & nephews? Per week / month etc?

Hulababy Thu 14-Mar-13 22:31:44

We rarely look after our nieces without their parents being around. They live 3 hours away, so we see them every couple of months when we visit them or they visit us - with parents too. DD would love for us to be able to see them more often though.

We have had our eldest niece stay over for 4 nights once, a year or so ago. And we are taking the same niece away for 4 nights on holiday with us at Easter. Not the littlest yet. But enitrely our choice and we know our DD will love having her little niece with her whilst we are away.

BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 22:22:41

I only have a 2 bed flat. I don't even have a dining room. My 2 share a room, so my niece sleeps in with them. She does cry throughout the night too, when we tell them we have her. They hate it.
I have tried doing set times etc. She's left me in the rain for 4 hours before. Her phone suddenly 'doesn't work' or have 'signal' too. That happens so frequently

Titchyboomboom Thu 14-Mar-13 22:09:29

Very rarely, but my house is teeny. If I had somewhere for them to sleep then I may have them to stay

girliefriend Thu 14-Mar-13 22:06:17

She sounds like she is bullying you into it and you obviously resent it.

Just lay some rules down like if I am going to look after her it will be for a max of this time and you need to provide me with everything she will need.

If she is emotionally blackmailing you just say no.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Thu 14-Mar-13 21:28:57

I'm 300 miles away, so never.

BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 21:28:04

When I say I can't have her , she gets nasty, saying stuff to people, she will refuse to let me even talk to the kids. They are weapons

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 14-Mar-13 21:25:15

My sister usually has them once over school holidays, used to be more when they were little and not at school.

BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 21:23:49

It's not even for her to work or go college etc. It's just because. Oh & her friend has horses, so she goes to the yard. My OH doesn't want to support a 'hobby' like that. My OH argument is "if she can afford horse riding etc, she can afford nursery"
It's come so close to splitting us up on somany occasions. We argue about it all the time

ceeveebee Thu 14-Mar-13 21:20:15

Why don't you just tell her you can't 'have' her any more?

Reality Thu 14-Mar-13 21:18:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reality Thu 14-Mar-13 21:18:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Not Chrissy, Christ . Twat phone.

You have got to be kidding?! Stop doing it! They ate totally taking the piss. Chrissy, I pay through the nose for childcare like that, and have to provide nappies and wipes etc to the daycare!
you ate being taken for a mug. Stop doing it for the ungrateful sod.

sjupes Thu 14-Mar-13 21:11:55

Mind typos - fat pregnant fingers!

sjupes Thu 14-Mar-13 21:11:07

Christ! Say no!

As MN is famed for - ''no is a complete sentence'' don't give in to pressure and don't constantly try to explain why not just day ''no''

I hope this gets sorted out what a joke with you as the punchlibe right now it seems sad

BackforGood Thu 14-Mar-13 21:10:29

So you are talking about childcare ?

In that case - never. Even when they were young enough to need it. I've babysat in the evenngs sometimes when their parents wanted to go out, but even that would only be a couple of times a year. (for my sister)
dh's side, they are younger now, and I sit for the one lot a few times a year, and never for the other lot.

BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 20:57:24

I have my niece from Monday to Wednesday some weeks. Other weeks Monday til Thursday. A few occasions its been Wednesday til Sunday

BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 20:55:56

I feel like I'm having my niece too much. Friends & family have said I do. And now that I'm working, I'm still expected to do it. If I have things to do, it doesn't matter to my sister. I have to buy wipes, clothes, food, juice everything the LO needs. I buy.

sjupes Thu 14-Mar-13 20:52:15

I must day, she took my DD on the occasions she wasn't at her grandoarents smile not one sided at all.

I would'nt put up with your situ OP

BackforGood Thu 14-Mar-13 20:51:00

Can you explain what you mean by "have them" ?

I chat on FB to my eldest niece, but don't see her so often now she's away at university.....
My 3rd eldest niece does some cleaning for me, so she's in my house most weeks.
What else do you want to know?

sjupes Thu 14-Mar-13 20:50:57

I used to kidnap my nephew for a couple of nights every week grin - go to my sisters, pack his clothes and leave with him in his buggy saying ''bubye mummy daddy tata''- my sister struggled a bit with him he's a difficult child but behaved for me so win win.

Tho my sis and i have only recently started talking again after 2 ish years plus both have toddlers and another one on the way each i doubt it will happen at all these days!!

BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 20:44:39

I got confused were to put it

noisytoys Thu 14-Mar-13 20:30:32

Never. I live in Essex and he lives in Cornwall

girliefriend Thu 14-Mar-13 20:24:50

Not sure why it is an 'ethical' issue?! grin

BigLippedMumma Thu 14-Mar-13 20:15:11

We live about 5 mins away from each other. I've done it now for 2 years. I'm not appreciated at all. She will ring me an hour before & make me feel bad . I have kids of my own too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now