E-readers for 10 yr old?

(4 Posts)
N0tfinished Mon 10-Oct-16 18:06:44

Would you recommend?

I'm trying to get my 11- yr old DS to read more. I'm a big reader myself & far prefer my kindle to a hard copy book. Do they work well for kids? How do you police book buying?

Hulababy Mon 10-Oct-16 18:08:25

DD had a Kindle from being younger than this. It was set up via my account. She couldn't purchase any books without a password, and couldn't access books from the shared library - parental/account controls on the Kindle. I bought books for her via the Amazon bookshop and sent them direct to her Kindle.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 10-Oct-16 18:09:56

Yes, that's exactly what I've done as well, basic Kindle locked down and managed via Amazon on my phone.

PopGoesTheWeaz Tue 25-Oct-16 10:48:04

With Kobo you can get borrow library books which has been invaluable for my son who would have put us in the poorhouse if I'd had to buy all of the books he read. (OR a house constructed of books perhaps?)

They also have a kids account where you can give an allowance and tehy can purchase from the kids section but annoyingly you can't share your books - though you could maybe if you sideloaded?

Whichever brand though, I'd go for a reader rather than a tablet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now