Kindle - with / without 'Special Offers'

(16 Posts)
squicketysquack Wed 25-Nov-15 13:34:21

I need a new Kindle, and on Amazon each version seems to come with or without Special Offers, with the 'with' option being cheaper. Assume this is because it's loaded with adverts - has anyone got this and is it really annoying / disruptive when you're reading? Thanks!

MovemberSucks Wed 25-Nov-15 13:39:21

This wasn't an option when I bought my Kindle, but the special offers are only on the sleep page so it's not as though it would interrupt your reading. If I was buying another one I would probably go for one with the offers and get a discount on the price.

drivinmecrazy Wed 25-Nov-15 13:39:47

Amazon says "Special Offers are displayed as a screensaver when your Kindle is in sleep mode"
Hope this is true because i need a new one and am thinking of taking advantage of their current offer.
Will wait until someone comes along to give more info before I 1-Click!

drivinmecrazy Wed 25-Nov-15 13:45:25

Can someone please precis the main differences between the paperwhite and the basic touch screen version?
I am replacing a very old well beloved kindle, but sadly it's becoming worse for wear (and truly looks an antique with a keyboard).
I recently bought DD2 a basic touchscreen kindle. I like it very much. But would I regret not paying the extra for the paperwhite??

MovemberSucks Wed 25-Nov-15 13:50:44

The Paperwhite has a built in light, and I think a higher screen resolution.

SenecaFalls Wed 25-Nov-15 13:55:09

I think the Paperwhite is the best thing ever. It is a big improvement over earlier generation kindles, in my experience.

drivinmecrazy Wed 25-Nov-15 14:14:02

I have braved it and ordered the paperwhite, though I'm going to miss my ancient kindle. Have to confess I'm feeling more than a little guilty usurping it when it's not completely dead.

Onwards and upwards!

SueDunome Wed 25-Nov-15 14:14:50

I have the new Paperwhite with Offers. The adverts appear on the lock screen; when you are reading your books you don't see any adverts.

schilke Thu 26-Nov-15 11:26:54

Please can those with the latest paperwhite answer a question for me. I have the 2nd paperwhite version and I find the colour of the bottom of the screen annoys me. I can see the light is a slightly different colour across the screen. Does this happen with the latest one? Is the light more evenly spread? Dh can notice it, but says it wouldn't bother him. For some reason it really really annoys me and I'm not using my paperwhite as much because of it.

Teladi Thu 26-Nov-15 11:29:23

the light is much better on the new one schilke, DH has the old paperwhite and I didn't get one for that reason you describe. Then my Kindle Touch packed in so I decided to get the new paperwhite. I love it.

PurpleGreenAvocado Sat 05-Dec-15 21:40:25

I never notice the offers on mine, they are in the sleep screen.

OhYouLuckyDuck Tue 16-Feb-16 22:42:19

The special offers are only when you aren't reading a book and they are barely noticeable.

GrabbyRoslin Fri 04-Mar-16 15:10:53

If you open a live chat with Amazon to enquire about having the ads removed, they'll disable them at no cost - don't them outright to do it though, say something like 'I was wondering how to remove the adverts from my kindle'. I've done it, as have DS and DH - I found out about it after googling how to get rid of them. Usually costs £10 so we were well pleased!

sw15mum Fri 04-Mar-16 18:11:52

I for them removed for free too- told them some of them were inappropriate for very young children etc..they removed them straight away ( from a kindle Fire- never had them on my paper white).

SistersOfPercy Wed 09-Mar-16 16:10:41

I also had them removed for free from my new paperwhite. Went back to Kindle after my lovely Nook developed a light bleed.
I emailed and asked very nicely and they did it for free, within 5 minutes!

AndIfYouTolerateThis Thu 16-Jun-16 12:53:16

I just got a new Paperwhite with the special offers. Tbh, they're not very intrusive, but after reading above, I thought I'd see if they would remove them for free!

I did a live chat, explaining that I couldn't work out how to remove them. They said they would e-mail me instructions (but no mention of a £10 charge!). I got an e-mail with a link, and then it stated the £10 charge, so I just left it. There was a pop-up asking to rate the help, so I put "poor" for Amazon's policy. They then asked for "a chance to put things right" and said they would phone me, so I thought "brilliant! Now they'll waive it!"

However, the guy on the phone was adamant that this could not be waived, I'd bought it for £10 cheaper; I even tried saying I was a loyal customer for 12yrs and would rather spend £10 with them buying books, but he was not to be moved!

The adverts aren't really annoying, but knowing that others got them removed for free but I couldn't has now made them really piss me off! Oh well. Anyone had them removed for free recently?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now