UK Kindle for elderly FIL who lives in South Africa?

(5 Posts)
FumblesandFrolics Sat 11-Jan-14 22:30:50

DH and would like to buy my FIL, who lives overseas in South Africa a Kindle. We would like to buy in the uk as electrical items are so expensive there, but are worried that he won't be able to download books from Amazon

Does anyone know if a UK Kindle could be used in this way?

jkklpu Sun 12-Jan-14 08:49:16

Kindles connect to your existing Amazon account so it shouldn't matter where it's bought.

NatashaBee Sun 12-Jan-14 08:56:49

It doesn't matter where you buy it (other than you may need to buy another charger to fit SA plugs, or he can just charge it by USB from his computer). You just need to select in the settings which country you are in. Obviously you are supposed to select the country you're in but my sister and I have flipped between the US and UK (to buy books that weren't available in the other country's kindle store) with no issues.

Janek Sun 12-Jan-14 09:02:46

My mil in Ireland uses dp's (english) amazon account to buy books for her kindle as otherwise she'd have to buy them from US amazon. I realise this contradicts what natashabee says above, but she certainly believes it to be true!

There was also some issue with buying the kindle in the first place, like it had to come from america, rather than the uk...

FumblesandFrolics Mon 13-Jan-14 23:10:27

Thank you. Kindle now bought, and we are connecting to DH's account before we go.

Really hope DFIL likes it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now