How much memory does a Kindle have?

(19 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 15-Dec-13 09:33:09

Oh - right

I have about 1400 on my Kindle account.....

GiraffesAndButterflies Sun 15-Dec-13 08:14:36

FYI, books are teeny files. They're nothing but text so hardly take up any space at all. I've prob got about 100 on my phone and they take up less than 2 MB. That's about the size of one picture. smile

KatyMac Sun 15-Dec-13 07:57:07

So maybe I can set up collection on Kindle for PC & import them to my Kindle

I wonder can you have sub collections?

tribpot Sat 14-Dec-13 22:40:43

No, I think you need the books on a device in order to manage the collection. So you'd do that on the kindle.

You can have just one book on your phone, you just download it. I think you would need to have a Blackberry 10 to use a Kindle app?

KatyMac Sat 14-Dec-13 22:35:25

I might read a different one on my phone to my kindle I think

I have a blackberry

But I still want a collection/filing system for my cloud

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 14-Dec-13 22:25:05

I just download the book I'm reading onto my phone and delete it when I'm done. No need to mess about with collections or anything.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 14-Dec-13 22:24:03

No,you can just have the book you're reading. The others are available from the Cloud. You can make it so the two devices synch to make sure you are at the same place on both phone and kindle if you wish.

KatyMac Sat 14-Dec-13 22:19:27

So I couldn't have just one book on my phone - hmm all my books might kill it!!

tribpot Sat 14-Dec-13 22:18:22

What kind of phone do you have?

This seems to say that you create the collection on one device and then that syncs it with the others. It seems to suggest as well that the books in question have to be on the device in order to add them to the collection, i.e. you can't do what you want, which is to manage the collection in the cloud itself. Indeed, looking at my Kindle account I can't even see a way of telling that a particular book is in a collection, but I haven't used the feature much.

5HundredUsernamesLater Sat 14-Dec-13 22:12:44

To read kindle on your phone you need to download the kindle app onto phone and use it to link your phone to your kindle account. Everything in your library should then appear on the app on your phone.

KatyMac Sat 14-Dec-13 21:57:16

Well I'm getting there a bit

I know how full my Kindle is - plug it onto the computer & see

I know how to put all of the files back on the cloud - reset to factory settings

I can delete books off the Kindle and onto the cloud - by removing from the devise

I can delete books completely by using 'Manage my Kindle' and deleting them

I know it slows down if it's too full

I don't know how to make collections within the cloud
I don't know how to read my kindle on my phone

KatyMac Sat 14-Dec-13 10:05:18

Thanks - I'll have a read

tribpot Sat 14-Dec-13 08:21:28

This should have instructions for how to find out how much space is left for your Kindle.

This suggests if it's slowing down it may be that it needs to reindex the books and this thread suggests removing books from the device may also be useful, but there is a post about half way down that talks about indexing.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 14-Dec-13 07:56:09

Yes, like others said, if you delete it from your Kindle, it stays on your Amazon account and is easily downloadable again.

I'm not sure how you tell how much space is left - possibly by plugging it into a computer and looking at it on the "my computer" thing where it should appear as a removable drive.

I don't know if being full slows it down though.

5HundredUsernamesLater Fri 13-Dec-13 23:23:50

If you delete a book from your kindle device it is still on your amazon account and you can download it again for free. You can also log in to your amazon account and delete it completely by choosing option 'manage my 'kindle' if you choose to do this you won't be able to download it again onto your device without purchasing the item again

KatyMac Fri 13-Dec-13 23:00:38

Does anyone know any more?

KatyMac Fri 13-Dec-13 22:45:39

That's the cloud thing isn't it?

But you delete it so you can't read it again - I'm just not sure if it's really gone

BaaHumbug Fri 13-Dec-13 22:43:53

You can delete stuff and it still exists on your Amazon account. You can download it again at any time.

KatyMac Fri 13-Dec-13 22:32:12

How can I find out how much is left?

If I delete stuff does it get properly deleted or is it still there?

Can the cloud thingie store extra stuff?

Does it slow down if it's too full?

I am sad wanting to know, sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now