To Kill a Mocking Bird...

(5 Posts)
Jux Sat 14-Dec-13 11:16:02

I love paper books, but I desperately want a Kindle, well, any e-reader would do and I have havered over it for years. But I know that when I get one, I shall still read paper books as well. We have thousands and thousands in our house, and they will get re-read many times; charity shops, etc will all keep me on the dinosaur path.

Harper Lee. I can understand her stance. It is a bit like Cnut holding back the waves (and I'm sure she knows that Mockingbird will be digitised eventually). The record industry did the same thing with CDs. Resisted and resisted the march on tech; and then the internet and YouTube happened, and suddenly EMI and its ilk lost their stranglehold.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 14-Dec-13 07:47:31

I don't understand where she's coming from at all.

An e-reader is the next step along the evolutionary trail for the book. It started out with carving, moved through beautiful illuminated calligraphy on vellum and now is at the point of e-readers. A book is about the content, not what you read it on.

I wonder what will happen after her death - I see from googling that she is very frail. I wonder if she will have controls in place to prevent it appearing in electronic format. It's fascinating that she never wrote, or rather finished, another book.

I'll have to make DS1 get it out of the school library instead.

(I love physical books, the feel of the paper etc but I have wholeheartedly embraced my Kindle, although I did have to get a touch screen one to give me the ability to kind of flip the pages like a paper book smile)

Jinglejohnsjulie Sat 14-Dec-13 00:34:46

It really pisses me off when they do this. Some people need extra large print so reading the book format just wouldn't be an option.

Jux Fri 13-Dec-13 13:33:10

Doesn't look like you can. Harper Lee has not sold the rights for it to appear in any ebook format. While I love gadgets and tech (am getting a K for xmas! sooooo excited), I understand completely where she's coming from too.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Fri 13-Dec-13 13:17:13

How can I get this onto a Kindle? Amazon don't have it.

Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now