Drowning in Kindle Daily Deals!

(11 Posts)
NadiaWadia Fri 13-Dec-13 00:54:02

I got my kindle just over a year ago. From the start I subscribed to the 'Daily Deal' (book of the day on offer, usually 99p or slightly more) which was often quite good, and I would usually buy 3-4 of these a week. There was just one book on offer usually. A few months ago the Daily Deal grew to 3 or more books, often in different categories so you would have a 'romance deal', a 'non-fiction' deal etc. The number of books I would buy started creeping up.

And now this week as well as the regular Daily Deals the bastards have added something called 'Top Fiction Deals' which only last the day. Yesterday there were 16 books offered. Today there are 20. Where will it end? Then there are the monthly deals. And the Kindle Top 20.

I have 100s of books on my Kindle, which all sounded interesting or worthy from the samples, and I must have actually read only a small percentage of the full books. I think I am addicted.

I am going to have to unsubscribe, aren't I? But then I might miss something really good. sad Help!

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Fri 13-Dec-13 13:16:02

There is no help. You are doomed either way - ether you drown in books you have no hope of reading or you suffer the constant angst of knowing you've missed the book of the century.

[unhelpful]

Cherrypi Fri 13-Dec-13 13:17:31

I don't think the daily deals have been much good recently. Not recognising many apart from MC Beaton.

LinghamStyle Fri 13-Dec-13 13:44:23

We need a support group! I save books I'd like to my Wishlist if I can't afford them, and then I check it SEVERAL times EVERY DAY in case any have been reduced. If I miss a day I feel peeved with myself. Last night loads have been reduced to at least 20% off. It was a buying frenzy!

I also check the Daily Deals everyday as well. And I get free ones, sometimes just for the sake of it. I do read a lot, and I'm a fast reader so I will eventually get through them all but really there's no need for me to go anywhere near Kindle Store til at least April 2014. But what if I miss something?

Cherrypi Fri 13-Dec-13 14:24:11

You need to use ereaderiq Lingham. It emails you if there are any price reductions on your wish list.

LinghamStyle Fri 13-Dec-13 15:11:53

Thanks Cherrypi, I like to manually check the list - its like getting a wee present when I find a book has 1p off grin Plus I never read my emails.

NadiaWadia Fri 13-Dec-13 22:11:38

Blimey, Lingham, and I thought I was addicted! I also check my wishlist, but only 2-3 times a week. I don't think Amazon would change the prices twice in one day, would they?

Best of all is when you find one reduced to zero. When this happens I snaffle it immediately and feel a sense of satisfaction like a hunter-gatherer who has just collected some extra juicy berries. Or something like that.

NadiaWadia Sat 14-Dec-13 12:00:30

And cheers, TurkeySoup - you forgot to add mwah-ha-ha! wink

Lots of sci-fi and popular science offerings today, and since I have a tendency to geekiness, I am being sucked in. Just taken 9 samples and will study them in the bath, hoping they are less interesting than the description sounds.

There is no hope.

LinghamStyle Tue 17-Dec-13 20:56:37

Nadia, they don't change the prices twice in one day but if, for example, I check just after midnight and nothing has changed and then I check again in the evening of the same 24 hour period then it sometimes has, somebody told me its cos authors in the US reduce their books in their time zone (so hours behind us?) Anyway that's my reason for doing it and I'm not ready to stop grin

gillygilbank Sun 05-Jan-14 13:49:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GinOnTwoWheels Mon 06-Jan-14 12:58:00

I'm another one buying kindle books at a faster rate than I can possibly read them. I've joined the 50 books challenge and said on there that I needed to stop buying books as I have about 200 unread on my kindle and another 200 on my ereaderiq list, which I will buy when they become 99p specials. If I never bought another book, I have several year's worth of reading.

However, in the last few days I have bought about 7 blush. But it's a cheap, harmless obsession hobby that doesn't generate any clutter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now