Kindle lovers - please help me love mine.

(12 Posts)
nkf Sat 05-Oct-13 11:02:04

I have been given one. All ready to go. But, I can't learn to like it. I don"t like the way sometimes, there us only one paragraph.on a page. I'm a super fast reader and I realise I am always a bit ahead. I like flicking through to see where the chapter ends. And the cost. I use libraries and second hand bookshops. Kindle books cost more. What can I do? I want to like it.

shockers Sat 05-Oct-13 11:14:33

I gave mine away. I refuse to buy anything from Amazon. Buying from second hand bookshops and borrowing from libraries will help to keep these facilities alive, rather than feeding an overseas business which doesn't add any value to our own economy.

Sorry, that doesn't help at all, does it grin.

nkf Sat 05-Oct-13 11:25:04

Thank you anyway.

NoComet Sat 05-Oct-13 11:40:37

Nfk my dyslexic DD likes kindled and reading on her iPod for just that reason, less lines make it harder to loss your place.

However, I totally agree Kindle and iBooks are way too expensive when you don't own them and can't lend them other people.

NoComet Sat 05-Oct-13 11:43:23

kindled, Kindles you stupid machine, Would you Adam and Eve it, this stupid Fire even autocorrects it's own name wrong grrrrrrr

DalekInAFestiveJumper Sat 05-Oct-13 12:04:35

I use a Kindle app for my tablet. I love it so much, it's ridiculous. I love being able to haul umpteen books with me wherever I go. It did take a bit of time to get used to, since I also read really fast. But once I got the hang of it, well, I haven't bought a physical book since.

badguider Sat 05-Oct-13 12:11:04

I fell in love with mine the first time I travelled with it - a whole "rough guide" and a fortnight if novels in my handbag!! smile

Also love the one handed reading in bed.

Unfortunately I haven't time to browse second hand bookshops so don't miss out on that. I'm also in a couple of online book groups so appreciate being able to order the books instantly rather than wait an age for an inter-library loan or shop to order the title.

badguider Sat 05-Oct-13 12:12:39

Oh, and check your settings - I've never had o ly one paragraph on a page. I have my type size quite small I suppose but I have good eyesight.

DameFanny Sat 05-Oct-13 12:19:01

There are plenty of classics on Gutenberg etc free to download, and plenty of free books on Amazon too. I started using a kindle for buying the cheap stuff you'd get in a supermarket paperback and still buy "proper" books in hardcopy for sharing.

But the thing I love most is a bath with the kindle in a waterproof cover, streaming music to a speaker on the bathroom windowsill. Ho yes..

nkf Sat 05-Oct-13 14:16:57

It's.not so much one paragraph. It's that you can only have one bit of a book at a time. It's hard to explain, but it feels like drip feeding and I think I like a sense of the book as a whole.

The classics? I own loads of those already. I thought I would.love it. Maybe on holiday.

petalsandstars Sat 05-Oct-13 14:26:40

Not taken mine away yet but as someone who can easily get through a book a day it will be so much better for my luggage allowance. And free books are fine for the most part

DameFanny Sat 05-Oct-13 18:53:56

I know what you mean - I missed knowing geographically where I was at first , none of the "telltale compression of the pages" - but I'm now used to glancing at the percentage tracker instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now