Kindle with keyboard: screen looks cracked but don't think it is cracked.

(8 Posts)
tywysogesgymraeg Tue 17-Sep-13 13:24:32

Thanks for the advice

tywysogesgymraeg Tue 17-Sep-13 13:24:13

Yes, it's just been in my bedroom, unused since our summer hols at the end of July. It was working fine then. The battery had gone flat (obvs), but other than that, it should have been fine with a recharge.

I'm a bit pissed off, as it's not very old - but things generally are not built to last these days sad
I do know DH's name smile so I'll try the online chat and see what they say.

exexpat Tue 17-Sep-13 13:19:23

This happened to mine when it was in my backpack in freezing cold weather. Apparently there is a warning somewhere in the manual/online guide about operating temperatures, and they are not meant to go below freezing. It wasn't fixable, and I had had it two years, so I just bought a replacement.

If it's been in your bedroom, presumably it hasn't been at sub-zero temperatures, but there are other things that can damage it, and I think once that kind of screen stuff starts happening, it's not repairable.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 13:13:09

Use the online chat and provided you know your DHs name and email address they will be none the wiser smile

tywysogesgymraeg Tue 17-Sep-13 13:04:31

I tried calling them (Amazon) earlier. But they won't talk to me because the Kindle is registered in DH's name (he bought it for me for a birthday present). I'll get him to call this evening and see what they say. I've googled, and it seems to be a fairly common problem.

I might try the online chat first though - good idea.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 12:53:42

Ah - I see you've reset it already. Try the online chat via "contact us" on AMazon.

They are, it appears, sending me a free replacement Kindle (the old one was bought last April/may/June)

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 12:52:21

I think it's knackered. I have just this very minute finished an online chat with a couple of nice Amazon "customer service operatives" who talked me through trying to sort out DS2s Kindle Touch.

Look on the Amazon website and see if re-booting it clears the screen (on the Touch I had to hold the power button for 20seconds but it may be different for yours)

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 15-Sep-13 23:27:04

My kindle is 19 mths old.
I hadn't used it for a while - it was sitting around in the bedroom. I picked it up today and the screen looks cracked. I can see a bit of the text from a book, a bit if the main menu and a bit if something else. I've charged it and reset it, but it still looks cracked, but I don't see how it can be.
Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it? Or is my kindle knackered?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now