Kindle or alternative for 9 year old...?

(8 Posts)
timeforwineyet Tue 27-Aug-13 12:57:40

My 8 year old loves my Kindle Fire & uses it for reading/games/Netflix. Am thinking of getting something similar for her 9th bday - any advice on if to stick to Kindle or go for something different? Many thanks in advance! ;)

TooTiredToBeCreative Wed 28-Aug-13 08:04:18

I have an original kindle and love it, would like to have a paper white though! I would personally stick with kindle if I was to buy an e reader for kids as I like the format and the ability to buy through amazon, have books on iPad etc. my friend has just bought her 9yo dd a Nook which was cheaper than the kindle paper white & is very happy with it.

chicaguapa Wed 28-Aug-13 08:10:32

DC both have Kindle Fire HDs and I can't see any reason to get a different brand. I think the Kindle experience is better on the Kindle Fire than other tablets and we wanted to make sure it was used for reading as well as games.

BoundandRebound Wed 28-Aug-13 08:12:58

I wouldn't give a 9 year old a tablet but all my children have kindle readers

wizzler Sat 31-Aug-13 14:07:39

DS (9 today) got a Kindle Fire HD for his pressie... any recommendations for games/ apps he would like that would give me some much needed cred?

chicaguapa Sat 31-Aug-13 19:28:20

DH downloads the free app of the day every day, some of which are good enough.

DC have (& lovely) Cut the Rope, Spymouse, Pou, Temple Run, Doodle Jump, The Room and TV Catch up (for watching live TV). They both like all the Coin Dozer games too.

wizzler Tue 03-Sep-13 18:33:48

Thanks Chicaguapa!

cloudskitchen Sun 08-Sep-13 23:04:24

I'd be inclined to buy a 7" tablet (I have a samsung galaxy) and download the kindle app. much less restricted than the kindle fire/kindle e-reader.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now