Which Kindle do you have?

(25 Posts)
Phaedra11 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:52:47

I love my Kindle paperwhite but the Amazon lending library was disappointing. Mostly rubbishy self-published books which only cost about a pound anyway.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 22-Sep-13 12:40:16

Thought that was only if you subscribed to prime edam?

edam Sun 22-Sep-13 10:21:28

You can borrow books on the Kindle kindle (ie not the Fire) btw. When you go into the Amazon store, there's an option for the Kindle lending library.

edam Sun 22-Sep-13 10:17:56

I've got the Kindle that doesn't have a keyboard but is smaller than the original - brand new two years ago. Love it for reading books, the paper screen is brill and the nice cover means it opens like a book which I find very pleasing.

Also got the Kindle Fire which is too heavy and not easy to use. I mean, it does stuff, but it's a pain in the bum - not intuitive. And loads of stuff doesn't work with it - video footage esp (it's not compatible with whatshisface, the most common video streaming thingummy used for most Youtube or BBC news video footage).

If you want to read books, get a proper Kindle with the paper screen. If you want a tablet, get something else - Google Nexus 7 looks really good (got to play with one recently and it's niiice).

Slavetothechild Sun 22-Sep-13 10:09:44

The paperwhite is the best kindle ever.i also have the kindle fire found it a bit heavy and chunky and the kindle touch which was great but the light situation got on my nerves !!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 21-Sep-13 21:53:23

I've got a keyboard and yes you can borrow with Prime. If you buy a kobo though you can borrow lots of ebooks from the library smile

Tabby1963 Sat 21-Sep-13 16:34:36

I love my paperwhite. I use it as a torch when walking up to bed or going to the loo during the night. If I am awake during the night I can switch it on and read without having a light on. Great.

I have a protective cover and read in landscape format, propping it up.

I can adjust the light to suit the conditions.

topsi Sat 21-Sep-13 16:20:14

With the fire is it a kind of shame that you can surf etc on it? I think I spend too much time surfing crap and would like to read more. Is the temptation to surf and not read.
Also with trying to encourage DS to read would he use the fire just to play games etc.
Also with the screens lighting up is it a distraction to the eyes at night, does it give you a head ache?

Fiderer Sun 11-Aug-13 19:43:58

Scootergrrrl grin

Thank you! I'd never even noticed the lock/unlock icon before.

<dim>

moonshine Sun 11-Aug-13 19:30:56

Well I won't bother writing my post as Scone has written exactly what I was going to.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 11-Aug-13 19:23:02

I love my paperwhite. I had the keyboard with the cover and light, which I really liked, but the paperwhite is even better. I have the cover that turns it off and on when opened which makes the reading experience even more book-like. I keep it with me all the time.

amigababy Sun 11-Aug-13 19:22:16

dd has an original 3G (3rd replacement as the screen froze/broke a few times) The 3G is excellent, we go to Spain a lot and it's great getting books with no problem (especially when the books themselves are free too!) Also she uses it for rudimentary emails and facebook, very handy for keeping in touch with boyfriend.
I just got a paperwhite 3G for the same reasons (except for the keeping in touch with boyfriend grin )

aliciaflorrick Sun 11-Aug-13 19:13:03

My paper white is very light and very easy to navigate. I do use it all the time now and I would be lost without it. For reading in bed, or in the cinema when I take the DCs to see rubbish films it's been superb. I used to use the keyboard Kindle with a light in the cover but this is much better.

It's just when I was downloading books onto the old kindle and helping DS use it I realised just how much I actually liked my old kindle, it does feel like reading a paper book. But also it's my first Kindle, maybe it's like your first car, you always look back on it with affection.

Scootergrrrl Sun 11-Aug-13 19:07:51

Fiderer - swipe down on your screen from the little horizontal lines at the top and a menu should come up. The first thing should be a lock screen icon which you can click on and off.

FairyTrain Sun 11-Aug-13 19:04:46

So, since posting yesterday my DFIL has given me his kindle fire (he won it in a raffle!) it seems so heavy....how does everyone find holding it for long periods of time?
Never knew that kindle fire is able to download library books. At the mo it's sitting charging before I try and reset it....
Still tempted to have a look at the paper white next time I'm near some shops! Thanks for all input, any more opinions greatfully received!

minsmum Sun 11-Aug-13 13:57:57

I have a Kindle keyboard and a fire and my dd has the basic kindle. The keyboard is great for reading on and I use the fire for everything else. You can download library books onto the fire which you can't do on the others

OryxCrake Sun 11-Aug-13 13:32:51

I have the old keyboard Kindle, which I use with a cover that has a built-in light. I love it and it's still fine after 2.5 years, but I've been coveting a Paperwhite for the smaller size and the built-in light. Interesting to hear that some of you prefer the old screen. Has thrown me into a quandary now...

mumslife Sun 11-Aug-13 13:27:03

Fiderer exactly the same also now downloaded google chrome. Used to have ordinary kindle without keyboard. Loved it as much lighter than kindle fire hd but stood on it and broke it

Fiderer Sat 10-Aug-13 21:14:43

I'd say paperwhite, after playing with my brother's recently. Navigating is a lot easier than the basic and esp better for in a cover for the bath.

FairyTrain Sat 10-Aug-13 20:24:12

Thanks for your replies so far! I'm looking for one purely for reading (have iPad for mn etc) , don't need 3G but need a light as sometimes read when DH is asleep and DC3 due in new year so imagine it will get use whilst BFing in the middle of the night, one that i can put in a cover and read in the bath too! can anyone advise which is best for me? basic kindle and reading light cover or paperwhite......

aliciaflorrick Sat 10-Aug-13 17:50:03

Also I love my Kindle, it's the best present I have ever bought myself in my life. Treat yourself, you won't regret it.

aliciaflorrick Sat 10-Aug-13 17:49:09

I've got the original one with the keyboard and then bought the Paperlight earlier this year. The Paperlight is great for reading in bed, but I prefer my original Kindle which I have given to the DCs.

I actually prefer the grey screen and it feels more book like. I did have a few problems with the Paperlight on holiday, when I turned the Kindle off the light stayed on.

I don't think any of them cope well in the heat and the batteries drain very quickly if you're reading on a hot beach.

Fiderer Sat 10-Aug-13 17:45:13

And re borrowing, yes you can.

Fiderer Sat 10-Aug-13 17:44:15

I have one of the originals which annoyed me a bit re the brightness of the screen but my daughter uses it now and says she likes the fact that the greyer screen makes it more like a book.

I now have a Kindle Fire HD and love it. Can read at night, no need for a light. Great tablet and with the "experimental Amazon streaming" thingy I can listen to Radio 4 on it. In the UK you probably can anyway on the iPlayer. Videos work perfectly. Games etc.

Ironically the only website I have problems with is MN, even though I've now downloaded Chrome.

As for books, my only gripe is that I like reading in bed and it changes the vertical to horizontal depending on how I'm holding it - which means it's the wrong way for me to read, ifswim. If there's a way to set it to stay one way, someone tell me please!

FairyTrain Sat 10-Aug-13 16:33:24

Really want a kindle (I'm an amazon prime member and think that it is possible to "borrow books", please correct me if I'm wrong!). Just had a look and no idea which one to buy... Which one do you have, would you recommend it? What are the best (& worst) features of your version?
Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now