Am so close to buying a Kindle. What's holding me back?

(8 Posts)
nkf Mon 22-Jul-13 07:22:13

I think I would like one. I'm a bit dismayed at how much books cost to download but then I paid a lot in library fines yesterday.

Please tell me the plusses nad the minuses.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 22-Jul-13 07:26:34

Plusses: you only have to pack one book on your holiday. You can buy a new book at 1 am and it's there instantly, instead of waiting for the library/bookstore to have it in. You can hold it and 'turn' the page one-handed, so perfect for reading with a sleeping baby on the lap. You can buy a cover with an inbuilt light, so perfect for reading at night without disturbing a partner/while breastfeeding (I read all of Game of Thrones during night feeds!).

Minuses: you can buy a new book at 1 am instead of waiting for the library. Err...I guess it would be annoying if you packed it on holiday without the battery cord? (But they take a very basic charger cord, I use the same one as for my phone). Kindles, specifically, lock you into using Amazon, so that's slightly restrictive.

Get a kindle!

Theas18 Mon 22-Jul-13 07:33:50

Get a £29 nook and root it to take kindle books.... really easy to do

Also loads of free domain stuff and the nook WILL take books from my library ( kindles wont).

Actually I have a kindle ( old style keyboard ) and a cheap nook. Love them!

Though I don't know what I'll do without the text to speech that the KK has . it might not be perfect having stephen hawkings voice read to you, but if you have to leap in the bath or drive at the crucial moment it can be brilliant ( I can route in through the car speakers!)

Shodan Mon 22-Jul-13 07:36:40

I was dubious about getting a Kindle- I love actual books and used the library frequently.

Then I was given one for Christmas.

Apart from the reasons Tortoise gave, I find it fab for popping in my bag to take to appointments (waiting time), on the train/bus. Also as I'm getting a bit old and decrepit my eyesight isn't as good as it was before. Now instead of squinting at a book's small print or searching for my glasses I just increase the font size.

I've never looked back. You HAVE to get one!

JumpingJackSprat Mon 22-Jul-13 07:44:36

Lots of books are free on kindle. sometimes authors put them on at special reduced prices ie. free or less than £1. Plus you can get a refund for up to 7 days after if you thought the book was horrendous or misdescribed or bought in error. there are websites that tell you daily what kindle books are free. i have read so much more now i have my kindle and have read some brilliant books which were free - admittedly some were total dross. i have the kindle touch and i love it to pieces. I have nearly 300 books on mine.

You can get a warm happy glow at the knowledge that most of the price you pay for an ebook goes directly to the author.
Ebooks pay roughly 60-80% of the cover price to the author, while print books pay 10-20%.
Ebooks are cheaper than print books anyway, but you also pay far less for delivery, and they are less cumbersome in bulk.

nkf Mon 22-Jul-13 08:10:42

Are they better for the authors?
And what is a nook?
I am very nearly there. It's in the Amazon basket.

Nook is a different brand of ereader.
I am an author, and publish in a number of formats so all types of ereader can access my book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now