What's the Kindle Fire like to read?

(11 Posts)
Snowgirl1 Tue 16-Jul-13 16:46:25

My Kindle Keyboard has just died. Amazon are offering some tempting discounted deals for me to replace it. I'm tempted by the Kindle Fire, but I'm wondering what it's like to read books on? Is it as easy on the eye as the Kindles that just e-readers?

Theas18 Tue 23-Jul-13 10:44:27

I would assume it's much more like reading on any other tablet.

Go and see it in a shop and handle it. the ordinary KF is really heavy too.

Kindle keyboard is the best one and I live in fear of mine dying sad

Auntfini Tue 23-Jul-13 10:50:15

I find it as easy to read as the normal kindle but it's not good in direct sunshine

Snowgirl1 Wed 24-Jul-13 09:47:24

Thanks for the responses.

I have to admit that I didn't realise Kindles were available in 'real' shops - thought they were only available on-line from Amazon. I'll have to trot down to Dixons in my lunchhour and see if they have any. I had seen from the product info that the KF was about twice the weight of the basic Kindles and had wondered how comfortable it would be.

I'm toying with getting a Kindle Fire and then, if I find it impossible in direct sunshine, getting the screen of the Kindle keyboard replaced (Amazon won't repair, but saw a post on MN recommending a company that did it) so that I can take that one on hols.

Does anyone know if you can have two kindles linked to one amazon account? If I did end up with a Kindle Fire and repairing the screen of the Kindle keyboard I'd want to have access to all my books on both.

cocolepew United States Wed 24-Jul-13 09:48:57

I have mine and DDs Kindle linked to the same account.

AtYourCervix Croatia Wed 24-Jul-13 10:07:41

I have both. I prefer my keyboard for reading but fire is ok. Can hold it in one hand to read.
Only problem is outdoors when it's too bright.
Both have all my books on. It automatically knows what page i'm on.

Theas18 Wed 24-Jul-13 14:07:02

I have MANY kindles and kindles apps linked to my amazon account LOL. Me DH mum and dad and the 3 teens all have kindles. All exxept my parents have kindles apps on various things too.

Nothing like being able to get back to your book when you are stuck at the station with only your phone. Also if I buy a book we can all read it.

However, if 2 of you are reading the same book go into the acount and turn off sync as you'll get syncd to the other persons page LOL

StiffGandT Wed 24-Jul-13 14:17:08

My keyboard kindle just died and I replaced it with a PaperWhite which is lovely. I have a Fire and while its great as a tablet it's much heavier than a normal kindle so not as good for carrying around. From a reading point of view the Fire is fine, I turn the screen to sepia so it's not too bright as that hurts my eyes and sunlight makes screen hard to read. I think it depends what you want to do with your kindle - just read, then get a PaperWhite, play games, surf and read get a Fire. I have four kindle's on my account....mine, my Fire, 2 for DC, not a problem.

Snowgirl1 Wed 24-Jul-13 22:54:04

Thanks for the feedback everyone - really helpful. I can see that I am going to end up with both the Kindle Fire (for surfing) and a repaired Kindle keyboard (for reading). Sadly I don't think even I could justify a new Fire and a new Paperwhite...

mumslife Sun 11-Aug-13 13:29:34

Snowgirl where can you get screens replaced on kindles

Snowgirl1 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:31:49

mumslife sorry I've only just seen your post. this company was recommended by another mumsnetter - I haven't used them yet myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now