Those cheap CD's of books on Ebay..

(10 Posts)
scrappydappydoo Fri 10-May-13 11:46:54

Are they worth it? Just brought my dd one of those cheap Nooks and want to get a load of books for it. I've seen those cheap cds with 1000 books for £3 - are they just trash?
She's 7 so am after childrens books. I saw one that was all the famous five books for £5 - which almost seemed too good a deal - how do I know which are legit or not?

SavoyCabbage Fri 10-May-13 11:59:03

I have no idea but we 'get' audio books from the library.

DoodleAlley Fri 10-May-13 11:59:33

I have a kindle rather than a nook but I wouldn't be able to get the books from a disk to the kindle. Certainly for kindle you have to download them from online.

Im sure there will be people with nooks who can help more but I'd hold off until you have heard from them

SavoyCabbage Fri 10-May-13 11:59:44

Download I mean, not on cd, it's mot the 90's. grin

DoodleAlley Fri 10-May-13 12:04:38

Ah. Not seen those. Again you'd need to check they could be downloaded to the nook. My understanding is that it's less restrictive in terms of where you can download from than kindle which is tied into amazon.

It may or may not bother you but I'd also be asking the question over whether they were legit. There's a lot of pirated stuff on eBay too.

nannynick Fri 10-May-13 12:09:12

Unless all the books are out of copyright, in the public domain, then they won't be legit.

scrappydappydoo Fri 10-May-13 13:03:17

hmm - thats all my thoughts on a thread - I brought the Nook as I'm constantly being pestered to borrow my kindle. Just looking for cheap ways to fill it with readable books..

notcitrus Fri 10-May-13 13:47:23

There's loads of free books on Amazon - anything out of copyright, pretty much, so all the classics. And frequent offers of 99p or less.

I would bet these CDs are just the same free books. Or piles of self-published crap.

tb Wed 05-Jun-13 18:36:54

I got one of about 250,000 books for about £10 on cds. You have to unpack the books as they're all compressed, and download Calibre. Once you've got Calibre, you can export the books from the pc to the e-reader.

There are loads of readable books on it, but can't remember how many children's books. Why not ask the seller?

2kidsintow Tue 13-Aug-13 19:34:08

You can easily put the titles onto your Kindle, by plugging your Kindle into your computer, opening it up like a disk drive and dropping in the files into the 'documents' folder.

There are lots of different titles available, but the copyright is a bit dodgy unless the books are classics and out of date. There are lots of really good selections of books - but they are unlikely to be legitimate.
Plus, although some can be fine (my sister had a disk and brought it round to show me) - there are lots of others that have naff formatting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now