Ebook Club

(12 Posts)
BeedlesPineNeedles Fri 15-Mar-13 07:12:43

I did actually look at it again, and it wasn't quite as bad as I first thought. But I was a bit confused about whether you actually get to keep the books, or if they then can't be opened after a few weeks like when I get an ebook from the library?

No, it's nothing to do with WH Smith.
Website does indeed look very basic - I think it is setup and maintained by the bloke who runs the club, it doesn't seem to be a "big business" type company.

As I said, I can't vouch for it except to say two of my friends did join, and have received their books (for their Kindles, in MOBI format), and I'm in the middle of my test month (which is free) and have had my first free book (also MOBI format, sent to my email, then I copied it over to my Kindle) and it's perfectly fine.

The payment options are via PayPal or invoice (which you then do have to pay via credit card or debit card).
It is always a good idea to be careful about credit card details esp. over the internet, though, of course.

MercedesKing Thu 14-Mar-13 06:58:10

It looks not that bad in fact, scanned and thought come of the goods listed are then for me, well, as for those who are of little similarity, some attention should be paid as well! wink

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 13-Mar-13 21:46:54

Just had a look, it does look really cheap doesn't it. Don't think they'll be getting my credit card details....

schilke Wed 13-Mar-13 10:21:16

You're right Beedles it does look cheap - having had a second look. I tried googling reviews of the scheme, but couldn't find any. Not sure i want to risk it.....plus I have loads of free/20p books on my kindle to read smile

BeedlesPineNeedles Wed 13-Mar-13 10:16:11

The website looks a bit cheap for me to want to give them my credit card details. i don't think its actually connected to WHSmith in any way.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 13-Mar-13 10:06:56

Think I was born suspicious. Will have a look at it though, when I remember and stop mucking about on Mn

schilke Wed 13-Mar-13 10:04:48

Glad I'm not the only suspicious one!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 13-Mar-13 10:03:23

schilke are you me?

schilke Wed 13-Mar-13 09:53:11

Hmm looks ok. Do you get to keep the book or are you borrowing it? I am always suspicious of things like this! I imagine paying the money for the year and then it shuts down!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 12-Mar-13 22:54:41

Hadn't seen it Hope, will definitely look into it, thanks brew

Apologies if this has been posted before.

It's an ebook club, you pay a yearly fee (3 different levels of membership) and get your choice of ebook from the WHSmith Fiction besteller list, depending on Membership level either 1, 2 or 4 per month.

I have two friends (both who got Kindles for Christmas) who found it and after doing the 1 month free trial joined it.

I am now doing the free trial too, and have just received my first ebook (I chose Gone Girl). You tell them which ereader you have and they send you the correct format.
You can also share the ebooks with your friends (the two who joined earlier sent me a whole batch of ebooks for my Kindle!).

I haven't joined yet, have no affliliation with the website or owner or anything like that, and cannot actually vouch for it as such, but as I said, two friends have joined and are raving about it grin, and I am considering the 1-book-a-month membership, which is 12.50 pounds per year.
I'm assuming I'm always going to be able to find at least 1 book on the WH Smith bestseller list which I want to read, and at just over a pound per book, it's basically as good a deal as the Kindle Daily Deal (which is usually 99p).

Anyway! Just thought I would pass it on: Ereader ebook club

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now