second hand kindle for ds

(5 Posts)
clangermum Sun 10-Mar-13 11:56:48

Great advice - thank you both

mummytime Sun 10-Mar-13 09:23:21

All Kindles have wifi, you may be thinking of 3G which means you can download books when not in a wifi hotspot. The new operating system has parental controls (you just need to upgrade it via wifi if its not already loaded).

If you want picture books you need the Fire. For other books, anyone will do.
I would take them to PC world and see if they can cope with the buttons for page turning, rather than needing a touch screen (one of my kids finds it really alien). If they have an iPod they could use that, although it is not as pleasant to use.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 10-Mar-13 09:06:18

Some friends have bought kindle fires for their DC and were singing the praises of the parental controls.

I've got a kindle 3 keyboard wifi. You could just not give him the wifi password and download and books yourself. I think it does have parental controls but its never been an issue as I'm the only one allowed to touch it grin

It also has text to speech, slightly robotic but useful sometimes, lie if he's too tired to read.

Have you looked at kobos too? You wouldn't be tied to amazon and you can borrow library ebooks from some libraries.

clangermum Fri 08-Mar-13 13:10:51

Have just realised I could block wifi for his device

clangermum Fri 08-Mar-13 09:11:03

I've lost track of all the various versions of kindles that are no longer available new. None of the new ones quite suit as I'm buying for a 9 year old and don't want him to be able to buy books without me knowing or go online (or are there the equivalent of parental controls?) I'm also not worried about WiFi.

Any suggestions for a simple version I could pick up second hand on ebay? I literally just want it to help encourage him to read. He borrows mine sometimes and seems to like the fact he can alter text size. Plus all you see is the page in front of you - he doesn't get overwhelmed by the 100 pages or whatever still to read, so for him it seems a good addition to physical books. Plus he likes tech, so I'm prepared to let him have his own, and don't really like him borrowing mine all the time.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now