An 'I love my Kindle' thread

(5 Posts)
MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sun 03-Mar-13 11:32:49

Seen so many people over the months ask if it's worth getting a Kindle, thought it might be fun to have a thread they could refer to about why people love their kindles.

For me:

Downloading samples! I've discovered some amazing new authors this way, plus avoided buying books that looked good in theory but were badly written or otherwise not for me. And it's great to have a load of samples to read to while away the time if i can't afford a new book for a bit.

Discovering new things. Because it's easier for authors to self publish, there are a lot of people who have lead interesting lives or do interesting jobs who can now self publish their memoirs. Often this does mean wading through the crap - there's a lot of dross that shouldn't have been published, but you do find some brilliant, unexpected gems.

I carry a whole library at all times - if i fancy a quick change of book on the bus voila! Lots more to choose from.

Can access/ buy virtually any book i can think of at any time (WiFi permitting). Even 3am (especially 3am).

Some fabulously cheap books, great sales, most bestsellers are still cheaper and you can easily and legally get most of the classics for free.

The only downside i can think of is that Kindles still can't cope with footnotes, and that's really affected the book i'm currently reading (puts them at the very end of the book and if you click to read them you lose your place and have to find it again). And i still don't like having no page numbers, which my old Sony eReader did brilliantly, although some books now have them, but only if you look in a special menu, not on the actual page.

greenhill Sun 03-Mar-13 17:40:34

I agree with you, they're great aren't they? I have a kindle keyboard and it seems quite old fashioned now, but is very light and easy on the eye.

I think they are particularly good if you have arthritis as they don't weigh much. However, I do get sore hands from holding my iPad in the same position; my DH reads a lot on the iPad and loves how easy it is to look at photos and graphics etc if you are reading something factual. They are also good for family trees if you are reading something historical or a saga, because of this.

I still have thousands of paper books though...

yoyo123 Sun 03-Mar-13 17:45:22

going on holiday with a Kindle! What a revelation...used to pack loads of paperbacks. Also discovered the Kindle guidebook recently, much easier to cart around on a long touristy day of walking..

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 31-May-13 16:09:53

Having various options for my mood at my fingertips.

Not taken it in holiday yet but after my last holiday where my cousin and I had to negotiate what we were taking so that we could swap I can't wait.

Free classics, I have them on my shelf but read them on kindle.

Read in bed without the light on, means I don't have to get up to turn it off.

Seem to read faster.

My only issues are (fire), not being able to organise them into categories, at the very least read and unread. Some of the books I read which I would have bought second hand are a bit expensive on kindle although still cheaper than brand new hard copy. I can sneak purchases and DH has no idea, although I do still sort of sneak them onto the shelves.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 31-May-13 16:10:57

Oh and also I can just pick it up and read a page or two in between doing other stuff which I just can't do with books, but maybe that's just a me thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now