kindle v books

(13 Posts)
comfysofas Wed 13-Feb-13 18:27:24

Has anybody like me got a kindle and love reading books on it but find myself buying second hand books off Amazon because they are so much cheaper?

I would rather have them all on the kindle but find the cost a factor.

Rumours Wed 13-Feb-13 20:16:28

I mix it up, I tend to buy whatever's cheaper.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 14-Feb-13 12:47:32

No because I can't read books anymore as my eyesight has deteriorated sad,

Am very tempted by the kobo glo though. Free ebooks from the library and I can read in bed without disturbing DH smile

I do find the cost of ebooks irritating but I'd have to say that for me the portability and instant availability of ebooks makes the extra cost worth it for me. I live abroad in a place where English books are very expensive and there isn't every good selection. More importantly i like being able to take DD's favourite books with me when travelling or moving without lugging kilos of books on public transport. I guess it all depends on how much you move around and whether it's important to have your books with you when you do.

I tend to browse the Kindle freebies

toffeelolly Thu 14-Feb-13 13:52:01

Yes get some good free book's when you go into kindle free book's but i look most day's because they only seem to keep them on for that day. Downloaded about 5 yesterday sound good, good review's , not on today so my advice look each daywink

fuzzpig Thu 14-Feb-13 13:57:23

I work in a library grin so I LOVE real books, but I also love my kindle. I refused a kindle for a long time and actually can't remember what changed my mind now! I also use the kindle app on my phone.

I rarely buy books as obviously I get a lot from work, and the only kindle books I buy are the sale ones - I rarely spend more than £1. Also have a few classics on there - for example I love the wizard of oz and you can get all 14 books free on iBooks (the apple equivalent of the kindle app)

BornToFolk Thu 14-Feb-13 14:03:54

I only ever buy books, whether paper or e-books, when they are less than £1! I get the Kindle daily deals or free classics and pick up cheap ex-library books etc. I'm not overly fussy about what I read though and when I really want a specific book I put it on my Amazon wishlist and let someone else buy it for me grin

juneybean Thu 14-Feb-13 14:05:09

Yes our charity shop does 3 for £2 so I buy a lot of real books but I enjoy ny kindle too.

PhyllisDoris Thu 14-Feb-13 14:10:40

I still don't get the attraction of kindles. I have one, and use it occasionally, but prefer real books. I love to have shelves full of books around the house, and you can't put a kindle books on a shelf!

Also, sharing books is impossible with someone who doesn't have a kindle. When I've read a book I often pass it on to a DD, or a friend, but you can't do that with a kindle if you want to read another e-book straight after.

So, although you can take several books on holiday on a kindle, no-one else can read them unless they have a kindle too.

BlueSkySunnyDay Thu 14-Feb-13 14:15:30

The kindle cannot ever replace a beautiful book, but the majority of books I was buying were basically disposable - read once and send to the charity shop (if they didnt fall apart while I was reading them.

I mostly read the cheap ebooks but i love the fact that I can download a few and the fact that if I finish a book at 10pm within 10 minutes I can have found another and downloaded.

I think you do have to keep a tight rein on it, my first statements after getting the kindle were just pages and pages of (admittedly cheap) purchases.

People now buy me credit for birthday and christmas (it beats racking my brains for things I dont really need) Still spending my christmas credit now.

BlueSkySunnyDay Thu 14-Feb-13 14:17:19

I'd love an oak library with shelves of leather and gold spined books, but a shelf of paperbacks - yuk disgusting dust magnets.

brightwell Fri 15-Feb-13 21:28:40

I have always been sentimental about books & never thought I would get to grips with a kindle. Having borrowed one a few years ago, I'm a convert. I gave up on the book version of Wolf Hall because it's heavy & bulking and am now slowly clearing my collection of books from the shelves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now