Children's use of Kindle

(16 Posts)
mmtrue Sat 14-Sep-13 00:50:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Hulababy Fri 21-Dec-12 22:38:10

My Dd is 10. She bought herself a Kindle this year. She reads with it most night in bed. She probably reads more now than she did before too.

valiumredhead Fri 21-Dec-12 22:33:58

My 11 year old is desperate for his own Kindle and we have made a collection of his books on mine, especially as most of the books he buys are much cheaper than 'real' books. Considering getting him one for his birthday next year.

Alonglongway Sun 16-Dec-12 23:49:47

My 2 both had kindles from about 11 and I got permission for them to use at school.

TheFoosa Thu 06-Dec-12 09:44:31

well, my dd prefers, as she says, 'real books' and turns her nose up at my kindle

she is tech savvy so have to admit being surprised by her reaction

she says the pages are too slow to turn and she likes to dip in and out of books which is difficult on a kindle

also she takes her own books to read at school so wouldn't be allowed to take a kindle

CJGloucester Wed 05-Dec-12 16:26:19

That's great. My friend's son is dyslexic and he wants a Kindle for Xmas!

KnitMinion Wed 05-Dec-12 16:17:28

My son (8) refused all attempts at getting him to read and now I can't prise the Kindle out of his hands :-)

CJGloucester Wed 05-Dec-12 16:12:07

This is my first time on mumsnet. It's great. I am washing up, cooking, writing my blog:
cjordanauthorblog.wordpress.com/

and checking in on this thread!!

CJGloucester Wed 05-Dec-12 16:02:36

Brilliant stuff. Looks like Kindle is catching on and the kids are leaving us behind as usual!!

BadPoet Wed 05-Dec-12 15:55:42

My 9yo reads some books downloaded for her on mine. She has a kobo of her own so she can borrow ebooks from library on it.

alexrider Wed 05-Dec-12 15:53:34

Yes increasingly so, particularly for the 10 year old, because we are abroad it's hard to find English speaking books for them but dead easy to download. The best bit about the Kindle for DS has been the dictionary, he uses that a lot.

They do have paper books and I actually prefer the 8 year old to read from a book.

I would prefer that they are confident in their reading and comprehension before moving onto a Kindle, but I'm not sure exactly why I feel like this.

I'm changing my Kindle in the next few weeks and DS1 has already laid claim to my old one because he's sick of sharing with me apparently.

Chopsypie Wed 05-Dec-12 15:51:32

I read to mine from it, and I;m hoping the eldest will ask for one soon so I can give him mine (and buy a new fancy paperwhite one)

Myliferocks Wed 05-Dec-12 15:50:20

My 10yr old DD has a kindle and reads ebooks on it everyday.

CJGloucester Wed 05-Dec-12 15:47:49

Thanks for that. I read an article which said sales of children's ebooks were increasing but I needed to speak to those in the know!

FurryFox Wed 05-Dec-12 15:40:01

My dd (7) loves borrowing my mums kindle and reading stories. She has a kindle on her Christmas list but still undecided if she will have one or not.

CJGloucester Wed 05-Dec-12 15:36:32

I have recently published a children's story on Kindle but after chatting to a friend, she doesn't think children (8 - 12 year olds in this case) actually read books on Kindle. I'd be interested to know what anyone's experience of this is?
Do your children read books on Kindle?
Do they have their own Kindle?
Is a Kindle on their Xmas list?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now