What do we think about the Kindle Paperwhite?

(22 Posts)
Hopkingreenfrog Mon 22-Apr-13 23:32:25

I had a k3 with keyboard for about two years, loved it. Then I used the proceeds from my book sales to treat myself to a paperwhite and I love it even more. I do have a tendency to fall asleep with it, so the fact that I don't end up leaving a lamp on all night is good, also it feels tougher than the kindle 3 with the useless keyboard.

I find the light is nice and even, and when you set it to low for reading in the dark it's a very relaxing level.

In short, I couldn't recommend it enough.

manicmum66 Wed 12-Dec-12 09:07:06

I've had my Paperwhite for about a month too. It was my first kindle so can't really compare it, but I love it. Already read a couple of books on it, and have about another 4-5 on the kindle ready to read. Definitely reading more than before. Another plus is that DD (aged 9) loves it too and has started reading the free classics on it (eg Black Beauty, instead of her more usual Enid Blyton). Haven't had any problems with the light at all.

forevergreek Tue 11-Dec-12 14:02:35

Dh has have the paperwhite about a month now ( had on pre order), he loves it and has never read so much! ( I have had the keyboard about 2 years)

tiggy114 Tue 11-Dec-12 13:31:30

Plus you can read naughty books like 50 shades in public and noone will know wink

tiggy114 Tue 11-Dec-12 13:29:50

Well i love my kindle ( keyboard ) and i just use a little torch propped up on the bed to read at night and it's fine. I've used a head torch for hands free as well. All fine. I'm getting a kindle fire for xmas vut will probably still use my old one for reading as i love it. It is a gadget and not a neccesety but it is fab and it's alot lighter to hold in bed than the book version of some tomes i've read. And i love it!

Peagreeny Mon 10-Dec-12 18:55:27

I'm not a Kindle owner... yet but I'm willing to say I've been seduced by the thought of one (all in my blog prestopeopel.blogspot.co.uk - I'm a Mumsnet blogger).

The truth is I'm still wavering. I was all over a Paperwhite on a recent trip to Waterstones. I touched it, stroked it and delved into its inner core for 20 mins. Then I walked out on it.

My reason? I'd like it to save me money but I'm not sure it'll do that? My DH says it's OK to have a toy, though. Looking for reasons to 're-kindle' my passion. Any advice?

Quenelle Tue 04-Dec-12 11:58:30

I mean secondhand.

I listed mine on Sunday and have two watchers. Feel a bit sad about letting it go but if I don't sell it this week before the Paperwhites start despatching I won't get anything for it.

CoteDAzur Sat 01-Dec-12 15:12:39

How does Ebay sell Kindle 4s for less than Amazon does? Where do they get their supply from?

Quenelle Fri 30-Nov-12 17:00:54

If it's better than the clip-on light then I want one.

I'm surprised to see Kindle 4s selling for £50-60 on ebay at the moment. Is that because of the Paperwhite's release date slipping? Tesco says they have them in stock, can't be true can it?

So looks like now is the time to sell my 4 if I want to put the proceeds towards a Paperwhite.

I have a tablet with kindle app that will tide me over. Trouble is I'm halfway through Wolf Hall at the moment and don't want my reading experience to be spoiled.

CoteDAzur Wed 28-Nov-12 22:10:11

Mine doesn't have a clip-on light. I just flick open the light that comes in Amazon's leather Kindle case. It feels perfectly fine to me. No strange colours etc.

I still can't decide if I should get the previous version (mine) as a present, or if I should wait for the Paperwhite, feet of clay and all.

schilke Wed 28-Nov-12 20:44:19

La la la it's terrible really isn't it? I got a kindle touch in March and can not justify a paperwhite......but I really want one. envy

Judging by the pictures posted by customers in America, there is a bad batch. People have reported returning the faulty ones and getting replacements which are better. The bad batch have pink/green patches that get worse the higher the light is and the lower the background light is.

I don't have one of those. I can sometimes see green patches, but only if the room is totally dark. They actually recommend that in low light conditions you turn the light down, which certainly eases the patchiness/shadows. It's a bit counter-intuitive to start with but you get used to it.

I love mine and I would agree with TheFoosa, it is definitely better than a clip on light. It's not perfect by any means, but so long as you know that in advance then you should be fine. The Americans (who got it first) didn't know that, they'd been led to believe by the advertising pictures that the light was different to how it actually is. Hence the angry reviews.

TheFoosa Wed 28-Nov-12 19:58:44

I have the paperwhite and it's much better than a kindle with a clip on light

The light isn't perfectly even as the pictures suggest but it isn't terrible either, certainly doesn't distract from my reading.

Quenelle Wed 28-Nov-12 15:57:42

What's the issue with the light on the Paperwhite?

I read in the dark a lot because I often have trouble sleeping, so I was thinking of getting a Paperwhite because I hate the clip-on light on my Kindle 4.

But if the light isn't much better than a clip-on I will save my money.

CoteDAzur Mon 26-Nov-12 18:36:54

I did read the Kindle Paperwhite reviews on Amazon.com and they are scary!

CoteDAzur Mon 26-Nov-12 18:34:29

"When you say you have a regular kindle, do you mean a keyboard one or a touch?"

Not a keyboard one or a touch. I mean the latest Kindle without a keyboard that wasn't a touch. The one with no keyboard but with buttons on both sides to turn pages.

hellsbells99 Mon 26-Nov-12 17:12:21

I have just spoken to Amazon. They were lovely. They are replacing my kindle so I will buy one for DH .......but which one?

hellsbells99 Mon 26-Nov-12 15:24:58

Hi Cote. Funny enough it is the keyboard one I have that has gone wrong. I have emailed kindle support. I bought one of my DDs the Touch for her birthday earlier this year. She is very happy with it.

I have one and I am very pleased with it. When you say you have a regular kindle, do you mean a keyboard one or a touch? If it's the keyboard then you will find that the paperwhite is much smaller, faster and lighter. I haven't had a touch but I think it's a similar size.

Before you buy I would check out the reviews and the photos, especially those on the .com site as they've had it longer than the UK has. There has been a lot of unrest about the light. The advertised pictures make it look like it's a very even light, but it really isn't. Had I not seen the discussions beforehand then I think I'd have been very disappointed. Luckily I knew what I was getting so I was prepared. I had the keyboard with the lighted cover, so was already well used to an uneven lighting across the screen and shadows.

It's nothing like reading on an iPad. It's still got the e-ink screen, it's just a whiter page than before (hence the name I assume).

CoteDAzur Mon 26-Nov-12 12:56:33

Which Kindle do you have? I hear a lot of malfunction on the keyboard version right after warranty runs out at 12 months, which is very curious. Mine is about two years old and is totally fine <knocks on wood>

hellsbells99 Mon 26-Nov-12 10:28:24

Watching this post as I am thinking about buying one for DH for Xmas and not sure which one to buy...... But my kindle has gone wrong over the weekend - top of screen is not working. It is just over 12 months old. Depending on response from Amazon will depend on whether I purchase or not!

CoteDAzur Mon 26-Nov-12 10:24:49

I'm unhealthily attached to very happy with my regular Kindle but now about to buy one as a present and can't decide if I should get a Kindle Paperwhite instead.

If you have one, do you like it? How does it compare to a regular Kindle?

It is the light thing that puts me off. If it feels like reading on an iPad, I don't want it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now