thinking of getting an e-reader for Christmas... help me choose!

(16 Posts)
JingleJohnsJulie Sat 22-Dec-12 18:26:33

Do you know which one you are having yet peanut?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Dec-12 20:42:27

Our w h smith has now got a kobo section complete with a lovely man to demonstrate the kobos and answer any questions.

I've had a kindle for a couple of years but am seriously considering getting the kobo glo. I like the fact that you can have it backlit or not and its simple to switch, you aren't tied to one company for your books and its easy to borrow books from the library and I wasn't swayed at all by the man in the shop grin

BettyPJones Fri 07-Dec-12 12:03:58

I have one of the early Kindles with the EInk screen and I think it works well, I find it easy on the eyes. The more recent Kindles and Ebook readers seem to be closer to tablets/iPad type things which is okay if you want to do more than read. I'm not sure what they are like reading Ebooks howerver, because they seem more like a computer screen display.

NadineBeyer Mon 03-Dec-12 08:35:28

It depends whether you want a tablet to do other activities as well such as watching movies, browsing the web or using apps, or if you want it just for reading.

The Nexus 7 is the best of the tablets on the market right now.

While the Kindle paperwhite and KoboGlo seem to be great for their E-Ink display.

hugoagogo Wed 28-Nov-12 21:15:04

If you are a big reader, then a nook or a kobo would be best. As mcnorton says then you can download books from you local library aswell as buying them.

Adobe digital editions is a free download and easy enough to install.

I have a very basic kobo and really like after being resistant for ages; it is frustrating when it runs out of power though. I would have got a nook if they were available here when I bought mine not because they sound cute the light is a really good feature.

Mcnorton Tue 27-Nov-12 19:32:30

I have a Kobo Touch. I really like it, use it for purchased books from Kobo, whs and Waterstones plus library books. its easy to use. if you want library books on it (assuming your local library authority does them)you need to use adobe digital editions to get them onto the device. (check out book online on your computer, download file, open in ade , attach ereader to computer and drag book from ade to device).

is a kindle fire backlit? i am thinkng for dd but dont want to hurt her little eyes.

FarelyKnuts Sun 18-Nov-12 21:53:06

Then I would look for a basic kindle if it's just for reading

peanutMD Sun 18-Nov-12 11:48:25

Its just for reading.

FarelyKnuts Sun 18-Nov-12 11:46:41

I guess it depends on if you want it primarily for reading or movies/music?
Kobe would have the same advantage over kindle with publishing formats.

peanutMD Sun 18-Nov-12 11:43:57

No I think back lit is harsh on your eyes, I have the kindle app on my phone and the lighting hurts my eyes but apparently e-ink helps a lot.

FarelyKnuts Sun 18-Nov-12 11:32:06

Mines a laser e book.
I got a lot of my books off file sharing websites tbh.
I am selling the laser to get a kindle now as I am finding reading backlit screen hard on my eyes. though most people just keep telling me to get my eyes tested instead grin

peanutMD Sun 18-Nov-12 11:15:11

thanks, can I ask which e reader you have please?

I'm so confused with this stuff and tbh I'm not even sure where I'd get books grin

FarelyKnuts Sun 18-Nov-12 10:29:16

Format not formation sorry grin

FarelyKnuts Sun 18-Nov-12 10:28:51

I have an e reader with a back lit screen. You can watch movies and load pictures and music on it as well.
I am looking to get a kindle now though as the backlit screen is making my eyes sore.
The e reader has over 1000 free books on it that I picked up from various download sites and has the advantage that you can download pretty much any formation book so lower cost and not locked into amazon.

peanutMD Sun 18-Nov-12 09:49:02

After years of swaying back and forth about an e-reader I think I've given in and decided to ask fir one for Christmas.

Are they worth the money?

I'm worried about the overall cost of the e-reader plus books etc especially as I mainly read library books, does it mount up to rediculous amounts.

I'm thinking of the KoboGlo as I like the lit screen but haven't actually seen one so not sure if I'd just bee a well with a clip on light and cheaper model.

Any experience of Kobo devices and feedback would be much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now