New Kindles out today!

(10 Posts)
vnmum Wed 12-Sep-12 17:05:10

I have now found out that the kobo glo is being released on 1st october and that reads epub and mobi format so I think I am going to get that because Barnes and noble do a similar thing to amazon where you can only read book bought off them on the nook. I will still have the kindle as DH will use it but I am disappointed we are not getting the paperwhite here as the back light will be so useful

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Sep-12 10:57:58

Viva there are plenty of people, like me, who love their kindles and the only reason mine broke is because I sat on and crunched the screen with my big fat bum grin.

vnmum Mon 10-Sep-12 11:16:06

Posted rply on other thread too. I do use calibre but if it is DRM protected in epub format you can't convert with calibre plus the glowlight looks fab and amazon aren't releasing the paperwhite in uk

ZacharyQuack Mon 10-Sep-12 00:38:25

Kindle works with epub too. Install Calibre on your PC to convert formats and load onto your kindle.

vnmum Sat 08-Sep-12 20:24:13

I want the paperlight but seen as amazon aren't releasing it in the uk anytime soon I may be tempted to swap allegiences (sp?) and get a Barnes and noble Nook with Glowlight here. It is the same as paperlight but works on epub format and apparently they have more books to choose from as some publishers release on epub but not kindle. It will be launched here in John Lewis in october

thefoosa Fri 07-Sep-12 20:36:48

I'm not bothered about the Fire but really really want the Paperlight with the front-lit screen

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Sep-12 15:46:45

I've an iPad, I use the kindle app on it a lot. By actual kindle gathers dust apart from if we're going on holiday. The only advantage of a kindle over an iPad is the battery life and the ability to read it in direct sun. Both of these advantages are lost with the new kindle.

WiseKneeHair Fri 07-Sep-12 15:11:41

But Viva there have been lots of threads about how much people lurve their kindles.
I definitely wouldn't be without mine now.
I was looking at the amazon site this morning and as I just want a kindle for reading, I'm not sure whether the new flame is particularly necessary.
If I didn't have an iPad, I might be more interested.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Sep-12 15:05:54

After all the threads I've read from people who have had kindles that broke at 13 months old I won't ever be getting another kindle. Their limited lifespan concerns me.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Sep-12 15:03:56

Anybody had a look or even got one? What are they like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now