Which kindle? Complete beginner...

(10 Posts)
funchick Wed 19-Sep-12 18:55:37

Just bought a Kindle Touch.
It takes a bit of getting used to - the manual is not great.
Now though I like it, very easy on the eyes and the optional cover with a light on top is handy.
I've also seen some good looking Kobos around which are worth considering.
I would be careful though in choosing between tablet and e-ink (black / white)
screens.

With either option you can change font sizes and download direct to the e-book or from your PC.

kuros Wed 05-Sep-12 19:40:05

Which kindle or which e-reader?

If you just plan to buy books from Amazon a touch kindle.

If lending e-books from your local library is important to you a kindle is no good. You need another brand - Kobo is good and well priced, also the Sony e-reader. The kobo shop is much better than the Sony shop but if you buy a Sony you can also use the Kobo shop.

My library also seems to have a large number of "sample" books - you can read and keep the first chapter(s) of books. Great for browsing.

I haven´t bought any books for my e-reader yet - still working at all the classics free of charge and using the library : )

Being able to increase the font size is brilliant for older people - new style large print books ; ) I´m hoping to convert my mum!

I´m very pleased I forked out for the integrated light.

E-readers are great! I´m a convert!

sashh Sun 02-Sep-12 07:43:44

I have the one with a keyboard, I love it.

tiggy114 Fri 31-Aug-12 23:38:47

Just to add, i love mine with the keyboard. If you do wanna use it to annotate books and add notes for study purposes, the keyboard is great. It also makes surfing the kindle store really easy. I havn't tried the touch but i love my keyboard version.

puggirl Fri 31-Aug-12 22:52:52

Thank you all. Off to peruse amazon wink

AmaraDresden Fri 31-Aug-12 08:07:22

If your mum doesn't have WiFi then get her the 3g version of whichever model you go for. The basic kindle is good, I have the touch after having the keyboard for 2 years and find the touch is frustrating when scrolling the Amazon shop sometimes.

I second soupdragon - register both Kindles to one account - you can then share books. Otherwise, it is a complete PITA if you want to lend a book.

There is a Kindle section on Amazon which gives a very good low down on the models. The middle (£109) looks like it would suit ... My mum (who isn't that confident) has managed it well.

SoupDragon Fri 31-Aug-12 08:01:09

I have a WiFi Touch, it's my first Kindle too. I love it.

If you register both Kindles to your Amazon account you can buy books and download them to both/either. When I buy them I have the option of delivering them to my Kindle, 2 different iPads or my iPhone smile

buttercrumble Fri 31-Aug-12 07:57:32

I have the kindle touch, it was my first E reader and is dead easy to use, love the touch screen. Some friends have the earlier version with the buttons on the side, but for the sake of 20 quid more or so,i would recomend the touch. They also do a version of the touch which is about £159.I wouldnt bother unless you need to download books on the go, i just download any i want at home and its fine........

puggirl Fri 31-Aug-12 07:45:56

Please can you advise me? I am going to treat myself to a kindle, which one would current users recommend?

I have Internet at home and wifi.

Also, I am thinking of treating mum to one at Christmas. She tried her friends and liked it but doesn't have Internet access and is a complete technophobe (can't even text!) would I be able to put books on it for her as well as on my own?

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now