Kobo or Kindle - what's the difference ?

(10 Posts)
TunaPastaBake Tue 24-Jul-12 10:16:42

As the title says really - Kobo cheaper but do you get what you pay for ?

Is it easy to download from Amazon onto a Kobo ?

Which is better ?

GooseyLoosey Tue 24-Jul-12 13:42:28

Have never used a kobo, but have just noticed that my local library now does e-reader books but not for Kindle. I think if I was getting a new e-reader, I might be swayed by this.

Love my kindle though - very easy to use and great battery life.

TunaPastaBake Tue 24-Jul-12 13:47:00

Thanks - have just had a look at my council library service and its the same with them sad

No idea about Kobo but if you are likely to buy books from amazon, the kindle is automatically set up so it just downloads them on there for you. I had a sony ereader before and that wasn't as easy.

daisydoodoo Tue 24-Jul-12 14:03:16

kindle is easy, i just click on my pc and when i switch on my kindle its there. or if im using my kindle i go onto the amazon store and download instantly. However that may be the case for kobo, but i don't have one.

I do like that kobo you can get a colour screen, although the kindle is easy to read and doesnt hurt my eyes, like it does reading on an ipad or ipod, so im not sure if thats the same for kobo, is it backlit?

juneybean Tue 24-Jul-12 14:05:30

Kobo supports epubs of which there are more free ones readily available

ZacharyQuack Wed 25-Jul-12 00:04:27

If you install Calibre on your computer, then your kindle will also support epubs, and any other ebook format.

msrantsalot Wed 25-Jul-12 00:11:00

No idea what a kobo is, the kindle is click and downloads almost instantaneously. Also has the option of getting a free sample. also has the options of "did u buy this by mistake" in case youve been too hasty with the 1 click. Only thing i have found is that there have been a few typos in most of the books ive downloaded but otherwise a perfect amazing machine. Ive not got touch screen, am happy without it.

exexpat Wed 25-Jul-12 00:19:48

I have a kindle, and it is extremely easy to buy and download books. The library thing is a nuisance, but it is possible to convert from other formats with Calibre.

I like the way that kindle syncs books across any device you use, so if I have been reading something on the kindle itself, but want to continue reading on something else (eg the kindle app on my phone or ipad) it automatically opens at the right place. And it is all backed up by Amazon - you don't have to worry about backing things up yourself, or losing all your books if your computer crashes.

Also, Amazon has invested hugely in the kindle platform so is likely to continue supporting it for a long time. My slight worry with the other kinds of e- readers would be what happens a few years down the line when your device breaks down - will it be easy to transfer your library to something else?

TunaPastaBake Thu 26-Jul-12 08:19:46

Thanks all !

Happy reading !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now