HELP! 50 shades on 10 year old's kindle!

(11 Posts)
loopyluna Sun 22-Jul-12 15:00:09

DD and I both have a kindle and both are connected to my amazon account. I've just realised that all of my books (including all three 50 shades), are in DD's archive!
As a precaution i've put hers on airplane mode but would like to remove all of my books from her archive permanently really.
Is this possible?

littletingoddess Sun 22-Jul-12 22:39:09

You may find this discussion helpful, namely the bit about downloading what you're happy for her to read and then de-registering the device. According to the posts, you would need to re-register the device to download more books, but at least your daughter would not have unrestricted access to your library.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/Tx3GVJ5G3LYVZUY?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG

Hope this helps. x

LadySucre Sun 22-Jul-12 22:41:53

to remove them permanently you acutally do it from the amazon website. as opposed to from the kindle. not sure if it will take your one off as well though

loopyluna Mon 23-Jul-12 20:13:43

Would be happy to delete the drivel fro my own Kindle too so will have a look on Amazon. I'd rather no de register anything if I can avoid it...
Thanks for the link though. Will have a read through.

Catsmamma Mon 23-Jul-12 20:16:53

why on earth would you not set up her own amazon account? Both of mine have their own kindles and each have an account. Simples!

And as they have no credit cards there is no chance of them spending inappropriately!

FallenCaryatid Mon 23-Jul-12 20:30:50

My DS's kindle is registered to my account so I can upload books I've paid for once to both of our kindles. Presumably if he has his own account, this wouldn't be possible.

Catsmamma - my dd's kindle is linked to my amazon account as is dh's. Simply because we can all share books that we might want to. Like i would not buy 2 copies of the same tree book I would not buy it twice on different kindles.

We permanently keep ours on airplane mode - saves battery. Have not shown dd how to connect to the wifi but if she wanted to she could work it out but knows there would be Big Trouble.

Plus it is quite a hassle to find things in the archive then go through the palava of turning on wifi and downloading it...so I suspect your dd loopyluna might not be bothered. Trawling through a few hundred books can be a pain - i find it annoying enough try to find something dd/dh have got on theirs so would not do it for fun smile

burmac Mon 30-Jul-12 01:26:59

I share an amazon account with my 2 DDs and it works well. They are a bit older - 12 and 14 - but my experience is that they rarely browse the archive and mainly rely on me sending books. I guess the current high profile of 50 shades might raise the chances of your DD spotting it, but still seems a long shot. I would just tell her that there are some books you don't want her to read yet and she is to check with you what she downloads from the archive.

I am entirely strict about video but more relaxed about books cos kids will process it in their own way. I had heart attacks over DD1 reading Oscar Mint when she was about 10 - there was a chapter about his......um.......self discovery....and I thought about taking the book off her. But then I asked her about it and she said there was a section she skipped when he got all silly and sexy.

So I guess my advice is to keep an eye on your archive and tackle if you need to.

tiggy114 Wed 01-Aug-12 08:37:53

If the bok is on the actual kindle you can delete it from that kindle. Think you highlight it and press page right and another menu pops up. One of the options is delete this book. It doesn't delete it from your amazon account though so you don't lose it. If you delete off your kids kindle i don't think it would delete off your kindle either.

carocaro Thu 20-Sep-12 08:44:21

How do you highlight? I hightlight it but it just jumps straigh into the book?

I know this is quite an old thread, but I found that you can alter parental settings on child's kindle other can't access archived items (including 50 shades in my case!). Also stops them getting o Internet and kindle store - I had visions of DS spending a fortune overnight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now