Ebooks for children

(5 Posts)
SpringGoddess Wed 13-Jun-12 17:43:26

We've just bought ds a tablet for his 9th birthday, it has kindle on it and we have bought a flew books for him on Amazon for our half term holidays but he reads a book in a couple of days and there is no way we could fund his reading habit by purchasing ebooks. He normally reads books from school and the local library and we buy they odd one we can't find elsewhere.

The local library supplies ebooks for teenagers but not children. Is there a commercial library you can borrow from for a monthly fee - what do other people do?

BabeRuthless Thu 14-Jun-12 16:31:11

Sadly not with a kindle. Some libraries lend books for ereaders but not in a format you can use on the kindle. All the library ebooks I've seen come in an ePub format which is what kobo & Sony ereaders use.

In the US there is a kindle lending library which you can join if you're an Amazon prime member. I think it's roughly £40 a year and you can "lend" from a choice of around 100,000 books. Think the way it works is the book comes onto your kindle & when it's finished it disappears and you're then free to get another.

My local library doesn't lend ebooks but the one in the nearest city does. Might be worth investing in a kobo if he's a fast reader. Think whsmiths are doing a deal with it at the mo. Hope this helps smile

SpringGoddess Fri 15-Jun-12 09:14:50

That's the kind of thing I wanted - the one amazon have gone for.
Because we got him a tablet we're not confined to kindle - can probably download other formats - will look at kobo. Might try contacting library services and quizzing them on their lack of ebooks for children their service to adults and teenagers is a bit slow but at least it's something.

BabeRuthless Fri 15-Jun-12 12:36:07

We always seem to be miles behind America with things like this. It's really frustrating.

mmtrue Sat 14-Sep-13 00:50:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now