Free /cheap kindle books for 12 year old girl

(22 Posts)
Ratsdela Mon 17-Sep-12 19:51:35

I'd be honoured if she'd try my new book called Splinters, for ages 12+

Weary of vampires and dystopian fiction I started writing something that focused on the character and her traits. In this book she explores her identity and even attempts to change it, with disasterour results. It's not too spooky, I promise.

It's on at a trial price of 1.28

Love to know what you think.

Rachel x

www.amazon.co.uk/Splinters-ebook/dp/B009ACIKEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347907829&sr=8-1

lolajane2009 Fri 23-Mar-12 04:19:35

i liked destiny binds (timber wolves)

ProfessorSunny Sun 11-Mar-12 07:16:31
thegreylady Mon 20-Feb-12 14:32:43

Try Ali Sparks Shapeshifter series they are excellent-not free but not too expensive. The first is called Finding the Fox.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 18-Feb-12 09:04:30

Fuzz if she liked Famous Five has she tried Secret Seven or Malory Towers?

She might find this website useful too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 18-Feb-12 08:58:37

How about Dracula and its free.

grin I loved it despite being a bit of a snob when it comes to books and not seeing it as literary at all. It is a total page turner.

grin I might read it though...

The Hunger Games might be too much then. The other things I have suggested are much less traumatic grin

I know the woman in black( theatre fantastic but terrifying!) know she won't read that, she's actually quite wimpy but twilight sucked her into vamp-fiction. I'm trying to ensure that's not all she's readinggrin

fuzzPigwickPapers Thu 16-Feb-12 21:58:52

Would love some ideas for my DSD who is 13 but reading at a much lower level (dyslexic) - liked famous five etc. smile

The Woman In Black by Susan Hill. It is in the cinema just now and I used to teach it to S3 (13 - 14 yo) at school. It is very scary but nothing graphic happens. It is mostly psychological iykwim.

flapperghasted Thu 16-Feb-12 21:54:59

Also chk Amazon's daily deal on the kindle books page. Young adult books pop up every now and again. Also chk out top 100 free books. Might be a few in there that suit. I have also used Ebay to buy discs rather than plow through free resources myself.

If she is not faint hearted I would second The Hunger Games but it is really violent so you might want to have a look first if she is impressionable.

I just mentioned The Golden Acorn on another thread tonight. It is free so nothing much lost if she hates it. It is about a metamorphosis, druids, magic etc and aimed at young adults. I loved it grin There is a series of the books but I have only read the first.

The Various Trilogy is also excellent - it is a about a population of small people living in a secluded woodland but not written for the very young. It would suit most 12 year olds - I don't know if it is on kindle yet though.

There is a trilogy about mermaids called Ingo by Helen Dunmore which is fantasy but not as dark as Vampires all the time. Again I am not sure if it is on kindle.

flapperghasted Thu 16-Feb-12 21:51:53

Sign up for Ereader IQ www.ereaderiq.co.uk/ gives price drops for books on kindle and you can sign up to receive emails advising of free books too. Got my 11 year old a few freebies for her machine lately. They categorise into kids, fantasy, etc, so it's easy just to look at the ones you might fancy.

Not vamps etc but Scott Westerfield's Uglies is a good series.

Suzy Turner Raven (The Raven Saga: shape shifters)
Kimberly Spencer The Shimmer Trilogy (Based on faeries)
Brandon Alston and Quinteria Ramey The Forever trilogy (angels, witches and vamps)

Will add them to the list, definately not heard of them before

How about Lili St Crow,s Strange angel series? 5 books and it's a good story with a kick ass heroine smile

Will check.

ByTheSea Thu 16-Feb-12 20:51:47

Has she tried 'The Hunger Games' yet. My DD-12 loved them -- it's a trilogy. I think each book was about £4.50. She and her friends love this series.

She's reading a lot of vampire stuff at the moment. Has some classics and other stuff I've forced onto her downloaded.

I need some more suggestions for cheap stuff as she reads fast and I'd rather she didn't have thousands of vamp books on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now