redundancy...illegal?

(4 Posts)
albertamay Tue 29-Nov-16 21:57:18

hi all, worked at my firm for 9 years. went on mat in april. got told they want to make me redundant but i got evidence which stacks up nicely to prove they are doing it wrong....long story but thats not what i need advice on. bascially i now want to leave so how do i ensure i get the best possible deal? if i put in a grievance or something they will probably change their mind and give me back my job but i dont want to go back now that they have tried to make me redundant. so should i just go straight to a solicitor and see what settlement agreement i could get (if any) or should i let the my bosses start the wheel turning?

bojorojo Tue 29-Nov-16 23:36:03

If they are making you redundant, you stay put until that happens. If you want to go anyway, you will get a redundancy payment which you will not get if you just leave. The grievance would be something completely different and will not affect the redundancy. It depends how much you want to put yourself through the wringer really. Seeing a solicitor won't really help with getting redundancy, so I am not sure what reason there would be to do this, and you will pay for it.

The best course of action would be for you to obtain a copy of the company's redundancy policy. Also look up how redundancies work on ACAS web site. This will guide you with minimum requirements. You need to make sure you are being dealt with fairly and you get the payment your years of service qualify you for. There are rules about this and you should read them. You should also be aware that it is a job that is redundant, not a person. Therefore no-one should replace you doing exactly the same job.

flowery Wed 30-Nov-16 12:20:47

"Doing it wrong" as in, using the wrong process, or as in there's no redundancy situation/ you've been unfairly selected and it should be someone else?

CockneyViv Wed 30-Nov-16 12:25:19

See a solicitor. Your op is not clear enough for anybody to give advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now