Professional qualification - exam fatigue

(12 Posts)
cheerup Mon 28-Nov-16 22:05:14

Two primary children, working full time and studying. I'm on exam 5 of 8... failed in June, resitting this week. So bored/tired of revising. Have done loads, it just never seems enough and am feeling rather negative. Just want it over - ideally in the bag this time - and to move on. Actually, I really just want to give up and send more time with my kids or my friends or at the gym. I have a degree and a decent-enough though not stellar job, why am I putting myself through this? Any advice for getting myself in a more positive mindset?

SouthernComforts Mon 28-Nov-16 22:08:46

Don't give up! I'm 4 years into a 6 year degree that is irrelevant to my new career angry however it's a good degree and at 9k a year I'm not giving up. I find it quite tedious and hard to fit around working ft and dd so I feel your pain!

Muddlingalongalone Mon 28-Nov-16 22:10:04

The quicker you get them done, the quicker you qualify & get to stop doing exams & get back to real life???
This was my lifeline when I was doing my exams. Couldn't understand my colleagues who only wanted to do 1 exam per sitting.

TribbleTrouble Tue 29-Nov-16 08:09:52

Come on, you can do it! Don't give up, it's crap studying with small children. However, think of the fantastic example you're setting for them. This is but a short time in your life, plus after this exam there is only three to go.

cheerup Tue 29-Nov-16 08:26:44

Thank you all for the encouragement - much appreciated.

Onwards... it'll soon be Friday and this session will be behind me. However it goes it will be done!

Musicaltheatremum Wed 30-Nov-16 19:51:14

I am in awe of all you people who do exams with young children. I couldn't have done it although i suppose if I had really wanted to I would have made time to do it.

ManagersDilemma Wed 30-Nov-16 20:11:02

ICSA?! It's worth persevering. Feeling bored might actually be a good sign as you must be very familiar with the material. If you've passed 4 already, you have the ability to pass the rest. Good luck this week.

cheerup Thu 01-Dec-16 20:51:51

Yep ICSA. All over now for another six months. Fingers x'd for a pass. Not very hopeful but you never know.

TeachingPostQuery Thu 01-Dec-16 22:13:30

Oh it's so hard. My professional exams took me 8.5 years and nearly killed me. I've no kids so I can't imagine how you're doing it.

I think there's two approaches - go full on and set everything else aside to get through as quickly as possible, or go slower but still manage to have something resembling a life. I took the second approach, I can't do the all consuming thing.

One thing that did help me was a session off - is that an option? I got to take a break and then start work early the next session. I was so much more motivated afterwards, I just had complete study fatigue and was so sick of weekends being dictated by study.

Best of luck, hope the exam went well and you're enjoying your freedom.

ManagersDilemma Thu 01-Dec-16 23:11:28

ICSA in particular is worth persevering with as it increases your future earning potential massively (I'm sure you already know that). For me, it also led to a promotion and more interesting work. I've got my fingers crossed for you, cheerup.

user1471950254 Thu 01-Dec-16 23:33:37

Focus on the end goal & have a structured but realistic study plan!

Good luck

cheerup Fri 02-Dec-16 08:25:54

I have already had one session off. I don't think it helped as I got out of the swing of things. The only way I think I can do it is to power through but sometimes it all gets a bit much - particularly by the second sitting of the same exam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now