When should I ask about going part-time?

(3 Posts)
Sauvignonismysaviour Thu 17-Nov-16 14:10:43

Hi,

This is my first pregnancy and baby is due May 2017. I currently work 5 days a week, but once my maternity leave is over, I am hoping to go back 3 days a week.

My question is, when should I begin to have these discussions regarding my intentions with my employer? I'm thinking there's probably pros and cons to telling them before I go on mat leave; and when I'm due back.

I would be really grateful in hearing peoples experiences please so I can consider this sensibly.

Thanks very much.

RasperryInAMelon Thu 17-Nov-16 14:21:32

I'm keen to do the same, or at least start with going back part time.

Does you employer have a flexible working policy? Ours states that it may take upto 14 weeks to consider a request and possibly longer if difficulties arise throughout the process.

How long are you intending on being on Mat Leave for?

Sauvignonismysaviour Thu 17-Nov-16 14:46:15

My company does have a flexible working policy yes - though I'm not sure of anyone working flexible hours or part time. There's not many with babies or toddlers working there though. I'll probably take 9 months mat leave plus some holiday.

My HR department have booked a meeting next week to run through the policy and health & safety check, so just want to be prepared in case they ask me.

I just don't know if it is best to be upfront early on; or tell them my intentions once I am returning to work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now