How do I Say No?

(3 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Tue 15-Nov-16 22:08:21

Im a teacher working on a supply contract, 5 mornings a week.

I've been in teaching for 23 years now and feel that I've fallen out of love with the profession and want to do something different.

However, I've got a feeling I may get offered this same position for the next academic year and, as the HT has always been brilliant with me, I feel a bit uncomfortable about declining the job.

Equally, if I decide to do general supply whilst figuring out what I want to do next, I don't want to burn any bridges.

I will decline it (if it's offered to me!) but need some advice on the best way to say thanks, but no thanks!

FinderofNeedles Tue 15-Nov-16 23:19:01

What will you regret more: accepting, and doing another year of mornings; or striking out in a new, albeit unknown, direction?

Will you be annoyed if you don't get offered a contract for next year, or relieved?

If you have fallen out of love with teaching I'd say it's likely it's been noticed by others.

General supply would provide variety, and it would allow you to give up at break points throughout the year.

Make your decision - tell the HT you've loved working with her / her school / her staff / her pupils, but that you need a wee change to reinvigorate / refresh yourself.

After that, it's up to you how you spend the rest of your life.

BaconAndAvocado Wed 16-Nov-16 16:04:10

Thanks Finder that's exactly what I needed to hear.

Tbh I'll probably feel a little bit piqued if I'm not offered the post for next year, but on the long run I'll be relieved.

I think that's at the bottom of my wobbling, I'm scared of "striking out"..... Though I know that for me, now, it will be the right thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now