Moving to a job with less money.....

(7 Posts)
mammasmadhouse Sat 12-Nov-16 18:38:54

For the past 2 years I have been working part time (HE Admin) in a job that is full time, however the role has increased significantly and I quite often feel stressed and anxious. I have no support from my manager at all and am the only admin member, he just thinks I should be happy that they have brought someone at a higher level to me to undertake some ad hoc elements of work as it will reduce my workload, when it fact it has created an additional avenue of work. I seem to spend all of my time putside of work looking for a new job but part time roles either at the same band or higher are rare. I recently applied for a public sector role that was advertised as F/T but I stated that I wanted P/T etc and have been shortlisted. However there is a 20% difference in salary, I can't really afford to drop, but I am not sure how much longer I can carry on in my current role. What would you do? Is there any other way to approach this?

SpeckledyBanana Sat 12-Nov-16 18:42:03

Is the 20% difference because the full time equivalent salary is lower, or because of the reduced hours?

mammasmadhouse Sat 12-Nov-16 18:57:12

Hi SpeckledyBanana, its because the full time salary equivalent is lower, about £4.5k.

mammasmadhouse Sat 12-Nov-16 19:00:21

Should also add that my current role is fixed term whereas the public sector role is permanent.

SpeckledyBanana Sat 12-Nov-16 19:08:39

I have done this. I was unhappy in my job and could see no future. I found another job paying £4k less, and it was the right decision for me.

OlennasWimple Sat 12-Nov-16 19:10:12

Go for the permanent role if you can manage without the money,

BikeRunSki Sat 12-Nov-16 19:19:34

12 years ago I took a 20% paycut and moved from a private sector job which was exhausting and I was growing to hate. I've been in my public sector job ever since. I can't see myself ever working anywhere else. I love it. The flexibility, support, training, additional leave, maternity package etc all make up for the reduced pay BUT - when I made the move we had no DC (now we have 2) and didn't need that extra 20%. Sure, we've had fewer holidays and cars over the years, but the day to day work life balance, job satisfaction etc is far better.

In your situation, I try to move to a permanent post from a fixed term post anyway. Do you have a mortgage? If so, could you increase your term to reduce the monthly payments?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now