Hours severely cut back, Son fired.

(2 Posts)
whatisforteamum Sun 06-Nov-16 20:25:42

My mum and myself have been working at a pub/restaurant for over a year. The place was recently leased and we continued to work. On average I do around 30 hours, and my mum does 45.

Recently they have taken on a new head chef (someone the new owners knew previously) I've worked all the shifts provided, covering other people's shifts numerous times too and have only had 2 days off the whole time there. However, at the end of the week, after a long day, the boss started shouting and swearing at me, out of the blue, because the back door to the kitchen was open. I was told to take the week of and finish on the spot, leaving me visibly shaken and upset, which my mum saw.

The following day my mum went down to see what had been happening and was told that I had lost my job. On the next day mum went to work and saw a rota with 46 hours on it. Later she noticed her hours had been reduced to 14. She asked them why this had happened and they told her it happened because she stood up for me (in a non-aggressive way, it's not in her nature)

The majority of the staff know that the new owners are not really lovely accepting people as they do tend to say racist comments often, so we knew they weren't perfect but we tolerated it, and walked away if we had to.However, a colleague told my mum that the lady owner brought up my sexuality in a negative way, but I cannot say this is true or it isn't as I was not present.

What do you think? Is there anything that can be done about this?

Hoppinggreen Mon 07-Nov-16 11:43:13

Unfortunately as neither of you has been there for 2 years you have very few rights.
If you can prove you have been sacked as a result of a protected characteristic ( such as your sexuality) you may have a case but unless your ex colleague will testify to what your ex boss said and you can strongly evidence that you were let go because of that and nothing else then you wouldn't get very far.
Also, I understand it will cost you to bring a case now anyway so if I were you I would just try and find new jobs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now