Redundancy - how common to work notice?

(12 Posts)
nowredundant Tue 01-Nov-16 16:33:37

Have nc for this. Applied for voluntary redundancy and been accepted, along with lots of others who applied. I have a long notice period and am hoping not to have to work it. Obviously I will have to take legal advice on the settlement agreement but wondered how common it is not work your notice period but to be paid for it instead? I am in a fairly central role but not e.g. a sales role or one where I have exposure to much sensitive data. Line Manager is interim and clueless so I want to go into that initial meeting with some ideas of what is reasonable to agree.

Lonoxo Tue 01-Nov-16 16:59:03

I think it is at the discretion of the company. I had a nice manager so I left at the end of the week. My area was being wound down anyway so they didn't need me as much.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 01-Nov-16 17:02:00

I would agree at the discretion of the company.

The hotel are within their rights to want you to work your notice.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 01-Nov-16 17:02:26

Sorry not sure where 'hotel' came from blush

cloudyday99 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:06:14

I've been made redundant twice and neither time forced to work my notice. At my current work place it's varied though. Some people we made redundant didn't have to work it but others - at a different point in time did. (though in reality i think they did very little work) If there's nothing critical they need you to finish off I think it's certainly something you can raise at your meeting.

daisychain01 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:51:08

If you can come to an agreement about exactly what you need to deliver, then it gives you an incentive to get it finished quickly and get outta there.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 01-Nov-16 19:09:12

Everyone in my old place who had redundancy had to work every last day of their notice.

The only leeway we were given was if we got a job elsewhere, they would discuss potentially letting us go early (and not pay).

Ylvamoon Tue 01-Nov-16 19:16:55

WeAllHaveWings- same here! When the company I worked for was sold on, they did a "takeover" plan as they moved location. Basically over a 6 months period, most people where made redundant. Everyone had to work to the "bitter end" ... you could leave early, without the redundancy pay.

OddBoots Tue 01-Nov-16 19:22:06

"not work your notice period but to be paid for it instead" - I think it would be very unusual to be paid for a long notice period as well as getting redundancy pay, they may let you off the notice period but they wouldn't pay you for that time.

ArgyMargy Tue 01-Nov-16 19:29:03

The settlement agreement may well include pay in lieu of notice, as it may suit the company to do it this way. That would not be included in the tax-free amount of redundancy pay, I think. Why don't you ask the question?

ArgyMargy Tue 01-Nov-16 19:30:20

Oops sorry just realised you asked how common it is. In my industry it is very common, but notice periods are never more than 3 months and usually one month.

nowredundant Tue 01-Nov-16 20:30:13

Thank you for the responses. ArgyMargy apparently we need to meet with our Line Managers first to discuss notice and leaving date, then we get the settlement agreement detailing all this. I can just see the conversation going around in circles with my LM. Based on what people have said here, think I am going to aim to leave at Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now