Civil Servant and Tranche 3 Appraisal looming

(4 Posts)
SourOldBat Fri 21-Oct-16 22:52:46

Hi - I am sufficiently senior in the civil service to fall into the enforced box marking regime, whereby 10% of staff have to get "tranche 3" (the bottom box marking) and no pay rise. Basically it also means my career is fucked and I will find it very difficult to get another job.

I have had a pretty shit year. My mother has cancer - she has had six operations to remove it this year, and it just keeps growing back. This cancer is hereditary, and I was diagnosed with it myself last year, but it was caught at an early stage and removed. A few months ago it looked as if it had come back, but thankfully the biopsy was all clear. The following month, however, I was called back following a mammogram and had a biopsy, and then surgery, to remove pre-cancerous cells. I'm on quarterly check ups for the hereditary cancer and annual for the breast.

The stress has been horrendous, but I've taken no time off, apart from two half days for biopsies and a day for surgery. I haven't been performing, over these months, as I would like to have done, but have kept the show on the road, not made any errors and my team have delivered their objectives. My team really like working for me, and I get excellent feedback for staff management and leadership. But because I have not "gone the extra mile", I've been told I will be getting a tranche 3 box marking.

Apart from two members of support staff, I am the only woman in my department - the rest are all men in their 30s. I am the only person over 50, and the civil service department I work for has never given a tranche 3 appraisal to anyone under 50 (I used to work in a different department last year, where I saw the stats!). I feel that this box marking is unfair, and I'm being punished for being ill, but have no idea what to do about it. No-one in the department will listen - they have to give 10% of staff this box marking, and I am an easy option. HR won't care and the union are pretty useless too. Although the annual pay rise for getting a higher box marking is only 1%, so not really here nor there, this appraisal marking will look bad on my CV and I will really struggle to get another job. Any ideas on how I can fight this? Even if my line manager puts in the appraisal that there were mitigating circumstances, no-one will read this - they will just look at the overall box marking and stop reading there. I have no idea where I can go from here - can anyone help?

IrenetheQuaint Fri 21-Oct-16 22:57:51

Sorry to hear this. The "guided distribution" system is utterly ridiculous (and currently under review, I hear?).

Are you desperate to leave your current job? Can you just keep your head down and aim to move back up to a box 2 next time round, and move jobs at that point?

DiegeticMuch Sun 23-Oct-16 18:42:07

I'm so sorry about your family's health problems.

Sounds like it's time to move on TBH. Would you have to tell a new employer about the box marking? I don't think that a reference would allude to it.

Shurelyshomemistake Tue 25-Oct-16 23:56:35

I thought having cancer immediately meant you were disabled under the Equality Act 2010. If so then unless your employers were unaware, if they failed to make reasonable adjustments to remove disadvantage to you I'd say they were on a sticky wicket. What does FDA advise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now