End of Year Manager Feedback

(7 Posts)
daisychain01 Fri 14-Oct-16 19:38:14

How do people feel about receiving a request from their LM to give feedback about them?

It seems to be increasingly common nowadays, but I always feel it's rock and a hard place. Give only positives and they'll question why it is unbalanced feedback, say anything negative and they could hold it against you.

Do you go bland and nondescript?

Millionairerow Sun 16-Oct-16 12:40:10

I would be constructive and honest. I'm a manager and you need to accountable for your team to ensure they remain engaged by listening to Theo feedback. Take out personality out of it and keep it factual. What your manager has done for you but where you feel they need to improve and no one is perfect, You should be glad, many organisations don't.

EBearhug Sun 16-Oct-16 13:00:27

I'd go for honest, but I don't think I could work for someone I couldn'the give feedback to.

gettingtherequickly Sun 16-Oct-16 13:15:44

Feedback is important, be honest but not personal and things might improve.

dangerrabbit Sun 16-Oct-16 13:16:56

I would be honest but I suppose it depends on your relationship with your manager and their personality.

daisychain01 Mon 17-Oct-16 10:28:09

I have experienced an additional subtle layer of politics so am wary.

In an ideal world I agree with you Ebearhug it would be great to have an honest trusting relationship but in RL managers change a lot, with rounds of reorgs, career advancement and so forth. I have rarely had a manager for more than 2 yrs, so investment in relationships takes second place to getting the job done. My role is also X functional with many stakeholders to "keep happy", so more layers of complexity!

I appreciate everyone's comments thanks. I have put together some words that I think are constructive, but do highlight some, ahem, challenges as they say in corporate-speak grin

EBearhug Mon 17-Oct-16 12:42:40

I have given feedback to manager's manager before. I do try and be constructive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now